Starting to see a lot of "talon holes"...

Jericoh

Has something changed with Busse's trademark of it? I've seen 4 or 5 on different knives just this morning while swimming through the different forums.

Granted, I've always thought that the trademarking of a hole was kinda hinky, but, hey, to each their own.

Not sure if anythings really changed.

Knife makers (small and large) have been drilling "lashing" holes (or "talon holes") in handle tangs long before Busse ever trademarked it, and makers will likely continue long after.

Chances are Busse just hasn't seen the knives yet (or they've already got communications en route).

I'd shoot an email to Busse if you want the best answer.

All competition cutters are required to have that sort of thong hole.

I don't know if Bussee would go after them or not, they have to balance protection with customer perception.

How can you trademark a hole? If I want a knife with a forward lanyard hole then surely I can make one because its public domain is it not?

It's less about the hole, and more about the aesthetic of the knife. Busse has a fairly unique look, and one key feature is hole placement.

That said, the lines sometimes get blurred between unique and general practicality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've wondered about that "trademarked hole" myself. I found out they had it trademarked after I had done the same thing a few times.

Spyderco's hole for opening was found to be mechanical and not a trade mark from what I understand?

But Busse's is a trademark? OK fine!

You can't name a product Mc, anything these days without Mc Donalds taking you to court.

Such is life!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of quick research on this. It's not that Busse has a trademark on a thong hole forward of the handle. It is the specific placement of the hole. Busse's trademark is of a thong hole located at the front bottom of the guard and bottom of the pommel area.

To the best of my research, Busse heavily enforces his trademark when he finds it being violated.

Back