Steel prices

MammothSkullKnives

Where have you guys found the best prices for steel? I plan to use 1080 for awhile so that’s steel price I’m most concerned with. Any help would be appreciated!

Any interest in some 1095 1/8" x 1.5" x 12"

I'm using strictly stainless these days. I have 10-15 bars this size I'd let go cheap.

PM me if interested.

Steel prices vary by how much you're willing to buy. How much steel are you looking for? 1 foot, a 6 foot bar, multiple 6 foot bars?

What stock thickness?

Steel prices vary by how much you're willing to buy. How much steel are you looking for? 1 foot, a 6 foot bar, multiple 6 foot bars?

What stock thickness?
Basically, the more you buy the cheaper it is by the inch/foot? I didn’t really have a set amount I wanted. Just depended on the price I got. I’d like to get enough in one purchase to last awhile. My biggest dilemma is that I don’t have the knives I want to make planned out, there for I don’t know how much in length I need. On the knife I’m doing now, I wasted almost 4 inches of steel. It may now seem like a lot but I paid for it you know.

Basically, the more you buy the cheaper it is by the inch/foot? I didn’t really have a set amount I wanted. Just depended on the price I got. I’d like to get enough in one purchase to last awhile. My biggest dilemma is that I don’t have the knives I want to make planned out, there for I don’t know how much in length I need. On the knife I’m doing now, I wasted almost 4 inches of steel. It may now seem like a lot but I paid for it you know.
A 4” piece of steel is still usable. Save it until you know what for.
1080 is about as inexpensive a blade steel as one can find. A 6’ bar will cost as much to ship as the steel itself.
But, with a 6’ bar, you design your blade and cut off only what you need. So, some economy there, but not a lot. In the real world away from knifemakers, steel is sold by the ton.

I use small leftover pieces such as that 4" to test my heat treat. After you heat treat and quench but before you temper just break the piece in half to look at your grain structure.

I'm guessing this is what Fitzo was hinting at...

I see, so are you putting both the small piece and blade in to heat and quench at the same time?

You can, but I normally do the small piece first to test my procedure. If it comes out good, then I go ahead and heat treat the blade.

If you do them at the same time then both may be bad...

The OP PM'd me and I think he's going to take it. I can verify exactly who made it. I know it's USA made steel and Travis is in Arkansas.

Back