Stencil Printer?

diverdale

Poking around the InterWebs and ran across the Brother P700 label printer. I noticed they have stencil tape available. Anyone used this for their makers marks? Printer is $80 and the stencil tape is $21. Seems pretty reasonable.

Poking around the InterWebs and ran across the Brother P700 label printer. I noticed they have stencil tape available. Anyone used this for their makers marks? Printer is $80 and the stencil tape is $21. Seems pretty reasonable.
Just bought one. Got it the other day. Waiting for the Stencil Tape now!

First I've heard of this stencil tape. I may have to give it a shot as well!
Based on this video, it looks promising:

Lately, I've been trying a few different steels that I don't have stencils for (I like to etch the steel type on my knives) as well as a new logo or two, and this would be perfect.

This forum is starting to get expensive. :confused:

First I've heard of this stencil tape. I may have to give it a shot as well!
Based on this video, it looks promising:

Lately, I've been trying a few different steels that I don't have stencils for (I like to etch the steel type on my knives) as well as a new logo or two, and this would be perfect.

This forum is starting to get expensive. :confused:
Thats the one i saw .... looks amazing

I've used similar printers, though not that exact one, for labeling cabling etc. If the stencil tape works as advertised it could be an easy solution to a sometimes complex problem. Particularly if you are changing your stencil design often.

I've used similar printers, though not that exact one, for labeling cabling etc. If the stencil tape works as advertised it could be an easy solution to a sometimes complex problem. Particularly if you are changing your stencil design often.
I was thinking, even if the stencils don't work out, there's still shrink labels for cabling or regular adhesive backed labels that you could print with it for any number of other applications. I recently bought a thermal label printer for shipping labels, and it's been a game changer. Too bad they don't make the stencil paper/tape for a 4x6 printer!

I've got a vinyl cutter/printer thing that is similar. I've used it for custom labels/designs on knives, cleavers, etc. The tricky thing is customers will send you a full size, complex looking logo and want it on their knife. The problem is when you shrink it down things tend to blur together and the logo starts to look like crap. I'm dealing with one now.....arrrgh.

I've got a vinyl cutter/printer thing that is similar. I've used it for custom labels/designs on knives, cleavers, etc. The tricky thing is customers will send you a full size, complex looking logo and want it on their knife. The problem is when you shrink it down things tend to blur together and the logo starts to look like crap. I'm dealing with one now.....arrrgh.
I have a Cameo Silhouette 3 and the issue I have with small logos ... even the simple ones ... is that sometimes the little bits don't like to come off off the backing paper. Thought the stencil printing might correct that.

I have a Cameo Silhouette 3 and the issue I have with small logos ... even the simple ones ... is that sometimes the little bits don't like to come off off the backing paper. Thought the stencil printing might correct that.
I have the same issue, I've made a few on my silhouette 3 as well and had problems with small pieces. But it does work good as a stencil once you stick it to the blade

Is yours a cricut?

No, I have the cameo. I like it once I got the hang of it. But very detailed things have problems. Plus, etching isn't the best for detailed logos as it isn't super precise. For things like that I tell the client to look into laser engraving.

It appears that the Brother printer is a thermal transfer, so you may be able to get a little more detail, potentially, and not have to worry about weeding the unwanted parts. Mine is mainly going to be used for simple text, so I doubt it'll be an issue. I suppose we'll see. I've got one scheduled for delivery on Thursday. :cool:

I was thinking you could do all kinds of stuff with it. Makers mark, numbered blades, personalization of blades. I already have a side project that I'm working on, hopefully this will work??

I was thinking you could do all kinds of stuff with it. Makers mark, numbered blades, personalization of blades. I already have a side project that I'm working on, hopefully this will work??
I would think so, depending on what your side project is of course.

Back