Stepping into damascus

In the video I saw that Steve linked for me the chap used the jar in boiing water and while the water boils the acid need not do so but it definately get up to a good heat which helps to speed the etch.

Thanks for letting me know, I had a chat with my neighbour who is an ex chemistry teachers and he has a test tube that's about a foot long and 1.5 inches wide along with a clamp and stand to hold it is place, just happens to look the perfect thing for heating the acid in and dipping the blade in safely as only a small volume of the acid Is required.

Finally have these finished and have to say I am reasonably pleased with them
Damascus Light Hunter with flat backed buffalo horn bolster and fancy walnut on the raindrop pattern stainless damascus.
LUXXQDNh.jpg

Mdified Buffalo Skinner with curve backed 3 pin buffalo horn bolster and stabilised exhibition spalted eucalyptus in the ladder pattern ss damascus
FwFKK5ph.jpg

75b2oxkh.jpg

8LdPsL1h.jpg

rJHH4V1h.jpg

Both are nice looking knives, but I really like that eucalyptus on the skinner.
That Eucalyptus has some beautiful coours and grain patterns. I have another batch in the vacuum chamber at the moment with a bit of spalting in the mix

That Eucalyptus has some beautiful coours and grain patterns. I have another batch in the vacuum chamber at the moment with a bit of spalting in the mix
It reminds me of some of the giraffe bone or fossilized mammoth I've seen. It has a kind of aged feel to it. I like it a lot.

Wow what a amazing transformation, from box to acid etch, awesome work.. Wish I was closer to you so I could check out your tools. Very cool ruler...Nice work...

Back