Stonewashed finish

Stoney327

Hello
Name is Stoney from Pappy Dave's Knives with a question ? I'm new to forums, and don't know where to post this question for sure ? I am adding a handle to a blade with what is called a " Stonewashed " finish. It's sort of a gun blued look, and have sanded away some of the finish on the edge of the tang:(. It's a scale tang, my question is, how do I match and repair the finish? A friend said he thinks it is applied with some method using muratic acid ?
Regards:
Stoney327

Welcome to the forum. Most of the people that are doing stonewashing are first etching the knife by letting it set in ferric chloride then stonewashing it in a vibratory tumbler with ceramic media. I have no idea how you could spot fix that.

Thanks Lead Dog
Outside of refinishing the whole thing, it looks like I'm done for ? I'm thinking that as a quick fix I may just use some Birchwood Casey Cold gun blue, and see if it's close. Thank you again.
Stoney327

Last edited:
They make a little marker for bluing repair that might help conceal the spot. If you are using synthetic handles, you can throw the whole knife in a tumbler. You will just have to redo the edge after. Good luck!

Back