Stonewashed ?

Denny Eller

Could someone please explain stonewashed to me. I know what stoned and washed mean but stonewashed purely eludes me. Thanks
ReconMarine

IMG_2016.jpg

I've got a blade being stonewashed as we speak.

The abrasive media (stones) in an industrial vibratory bowl, soap & water. I would imagine the soap and water keep the porous media from being clogged up.

You're scratching the steel a gazillion times over as it rides inside the vibratory bowl. This gives the knife a nice matt finish.

2-8.jpg

It's always been difficult to capture the matt finish - it's the top knife.

Last edited:
Good tip. Thanks!

Now I can pretend I "found" the dish soap and return it. :)

Yeah, but the tide is about to go missing..... weinerdog1

But if you get really industrious they make a compound especially for that... Seems to just just a little cleaner. Not sure if it's worth the drama though, you have to buy 5 gal of it and you only use like 1 oz per gallon of water...... So 5 gal is about a life time supply I think..... :D

Thanks, Bill, I didn't expect pictures and all. I really like the matte finish that the CH-53 gives the blade. Personally, I'm a CH-46 man.

I think maybe a fellow could make one of those vibratory bowls if he started with a commode and a Harley panhead............

How long does it usually take in the "aircraft" of your choice. Also can you do more than one blade at a time?

Paul

How long does it usually take in the "aircraft" of your choice. Also can you do more than one blade at a time?

Paul

Do not use the standard "clean your rifle brass" machine..it will not work. I know. I tried.

Harbor Freight sells these large vibratory bowls for cleaning machine parts, etc. Your media has to be right too. I know....screwed that up too in the beginning.

BC

Here's the McMaster part numbers for the abrasive media.

10 lb. 4918A911 Ceramic Media V Cylinder
10 lb. 4918A918 Ceramic Media Triangular

I got these part numbers from Martin Olexey...who got them from Les George...who got them from...

Dump both in the bowl, a little laundry soap (see Les, I'm trainable) and just add water.

BC

Bill or Les, have either of your tried WD-40? Jake was doing a 1095 knife in the soapy water concoction and it was rusting as it tumbled. I cleaned it out and put the other half of my triangles in there and a little WD and I really liked what it did and it was a little quieter.

Bill or Les, have either of your tried WD-40? Jake was doing a 1095 knife in the soapy water concoction and it was rusting as it tumbled. I cleaned it out and put the other half of my triangles in there and a little WD and I really liked what it did and it was a little quieter.

Whoa...I like that idea.

Don't work with high carbon steel but I like that idea.

Well, I've got a gallon of WD in the shop. I'll let you know the next batch.

Thanks!

Bc

I like the WD40 idea.

I've used soap (dish and laundry) but lately I've been using this stuff...

http://www.eastwood.com/metal-wash-7-oz.html

I put a teaspoon in the bowl with some water.

Gives the carbon steel a little protection from the flash rusting that can happen if you don't get some oil on them as soon as they come out of the bowl.

Nice pics BC!

on a side note....

Check this out...a little pricey but you can stonewash a 15" blade in this bad boy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180407835922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I want!

mo

Last edited:
Back