Storing 2x72'' belts

Keith Willis

Do any of you guys have trouble with your belts twisting while hanging in the shop?I am not sure if it is moisture or what.

How do you all store your belts?Pictures would be helpful

God bless,Keith

I had this problem with my old 1x42" belts. I just started putting cans or wood to keep them straightened out. Havent had that problem with 2x72" belts though??

Do any of you guys have trouble with your belts twisting while hanging in the shop?I am not sure if it is moisture or what.

How do you all store your belts?Pictures would be helpful

God bless,Keith

I've had that problem with my lighter weight (higher grit) belts. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the humidity. I hang mine on rods on the wall and as long as I keep several of them hanging together they seem to do okay. When I get down to one or two the problem can get worse.

I have seen some people make creative belt storage areas so that both ends of the loop of the belt are supported and the belts hang horizontally instead of vertically.

Hope this helps.
SDS

I have my 2x72 on a rolling stand, and the belts hang just above the floor.

dsc05550j.jpg

I,like Sawn have had problems with the higher grit.I now know i'm not the only one with this problem.I think I can find a way to hang them.

God bless,Keith

I notice the twist more with the lighter weight belts like j flex. Most of my heavier backed belts are ok.

Try moving to a state with no humidity, like Montana.. Nothing rusts or twists up here.. Just freezes solid in the winter. :) :) :) :) :)

Sometimes the J-flex ones will do it in the winter. I used to have tons of problem before I had a heated shop.

Try moving to a state with no humidity, like Montana.. Nothing rusts or twists up here.. Just freezes solid in the winter. :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks guys,

Yes Steven,my wife and I would give almost anything to be able to move to Montana.I have never been there,but I know I would love to live there.

I have to agree with Steven about the weather here in Montana. Also the heat source in your shop will make your belts curl. I was using a propane style contracters heater and the humidity it put in the shop make all my belts curl. Now I have an electric heater in 220volt and no more curling belts.
Kevin.

I use coat rack hangers from the dollar store I just need alot more wall space. Its hard to hang over 100 belts . Speaking of belts had a norax 400 grit belt explode in my face last night thank god it never caught the knife.
PICT0013-2.jpg

That is a good idea Kelly,however I would have to have one at the top and bottom.
Glad you are ok,after the belt broke.

God bless,Keith

Back