Suggestions for cutting Muskox Horn

Knifemaker.ca

Dealer - Purveyor
I did search here and there are lots of nice picks of muskox horn, but I'm looking for hints on cutting it. The pics I see here are almost all transverse cut (cross section). The guy I bought the horn from suggested longitudinal cut - especially for the boss.

I'd sure appreciate some guidance from the group here with respect to your experience - and your preferences for thickness etc.

Thanks

Thanks for the contacts. I've sent out some email pleas for help. I know how nice this stuff can be and I really don't want to screw it up. :3:

The topic may look quiet here, but it's been anything but quiet on email. Thanks for all the contacts tips and patience with my questions. Here is what I got;

bossslices.jpg

I cut thick because I didn't want to lose them to the movement I've been told to expect. They are mostly about 1/2" thick. The first section behind the boss should provide a couple moderate size scales. The second section behind the boss looks hollow too, but the hollow only goes in about 1 1/4" and the rest is solid. Spacers? Maybe a through tang? The tip section will make a cool hidden tang.

bossthick.jpg

This is the large piece I cut. It's a littl over 7" tip to tip and about 1 1/4" thick, so after it finishes moving, there should be a nice big through tang block.

Now I gotta get into the shop and make some knives to suit this stuff and be patient enough to let it settle out before I use it. :58:

I'm told that stabilizing is a matter of opinion with this stuff. Your opinions are welcome on that.

Rob!

Man that is some beautiful material! Thanks for posting your findings, I hope to work with this material at some point.

Mr Knapp sells some lovely scales now and then. I have a set from him I'm planning to use on a folder. That will be on hold for a while. I have a house move coming up. Frank

Back