Surface Grinding

Eric Poris

Gold Membership
Sup Dogs!
I wanted to get your guys input on any techniques used to surface grind your own stock. I prefer to buy my steel from a Admiral Steel as they are so close to me shipping is really cheep and its bulk making it cheaper still. I am going through belts like there is no tomorrow using my flat platen.
Is there another way to surface grind without buying a surface grinder? I can't afford to drop that kind of money on one or I would just buy one.
Thanks!
~Eric

Hey Eric. I don't have an answer but I wanted to tell you I was born and raised in Amboy and may be the only other person who knows where Earlville is. And we both know where Rip's is in Ladd.

Etching the steel with regular white vinegar helps "loosen up" the mill scale. After soaking a day or two, some of the scale will come off with a wire brush and the rest is easier to grind off. Saves belts :thumbup: I've tried it on CPM-154, D2 and 1080/1084, works about the same regardless. If you can get your favorite steel precision ground that's even better off course.

I use my mill with a magnetic chuck and a cup wheel, used to use Hermesit RB 545 Y P60 bubble belts to remove scale, thay work great and last a long time, thay are available at Tru Grit for 4.90 each. Deane

I have read about cupped wheels coming apart during this type of grinding. I woud not want to me close by if it did. Be careful.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the responses! Giving me a few things to think about.
Denny- Funny you should mention that, Steve Janik actually told me he passed thru Earlville the other day. Then he made fun of the best restaurant we have here in town! Did I mention it was the only restaurant in town?:lol:

Etching the steel with regular white vinegar helps "loosen up" the mill scale. After soaking a day or two, some of the scale will come off with a wire brush and the rest is easier to grind off. Saves belts :thumbup: I've tried it on CPM-154, D2 and 1080/1084, works about the same regardless. If you can get your favorite steel precision ground that's even better off course.

For the steel I've already got I'll give that a try. Went through 3 belts and an hour of grinding yesterday before
I could get started.

I'll order preground from Aldo in the future.

Hey Denny,
Hate to tell you this, but I had lunch in Earlville last Sunday. I've contacted Eric and we are going to hook up.

Steve

I tried the cup wheel technique before I broke down and got the surface grinder. Not highly recommended. One piece missed the right ear and the other missed the left. Almost needed a change of underwear after that. Both pieces imbedded themselves in the drywall 10 ft behind me.
Steve

How you feeling George, back in the shop yet?

Back