Sword blade geometry questions

Justin Presson

More sword questions.
The more I read and study up on swords as I have been dipping my toe in the water of making one.
Directly related to the Wakizashi Im making what geometry is optimal on these blades?
Do I need to grind in a little swedge like in this pic I pulled off the web?
Or can I leave it flat, does it add strength, does it reduce weight?
Im hoping some of you guys like Matt G., Ben Tendick or Storm crow might be able to weigh in.
art_perf_blade_profile.jpg

You don't seem to be getting much help here, Justin. I'm not a sword guy, but I'll offer my opinion.

You will never add strength by removing material, it's simple physics. Swedges and fullers reduce the weight of the blade but they also decrease the strength. The trick is to find the proper balance between having a strong blade and a light blade. You obviously want the lightest blade possible as not to tire out the user, but you also want the blade to be tough enough to perform the task without failure. Finding that balance is where the art of design comes in.

You don't seem to be getting much help here, Justin. I'm not a sword guy, but I'll offer my opinion.

You will never add strength by removing material, it's simple physics. Swedges and fullers reduce the weight of the blade but they also decrease the strength. The trick is to find the proper balance between having a strong blade and a light blade. You obviously want the lightest blade possible as not to tire out the user, but you also want the blade to be tough enough to perform the task without failure. Finding that balance is where the art of design comes in.

Thanks for the reply!
I guess I am looking at it a bit different. Im looking at it as if you have a flat piece of sheet metal it is pretty weak and easly takes a bend but if you ad some ridges to it now becomes more ridged(like metal roofing) Or like a tape measure, if it was flat it you would not be able to take it our very far before it fell limp but that little U shape in it allows you to reach out with it.
I dont know, just trying to gather input and learn.

Back