Take down knife question

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Hey all...finally back in the shop...moving pretty slow. have not been able to put a real day in yet since the lung surgery and quad bypass 5 months ago....but with many rest stops I'm getting things done!

I just went to the doc tues and my heart ejection has gone from 20% to 43% !!! (normal is 50-60% with 60 being ideal) Starting to feel human again.....any way....

I am working on a short Bowie take down. The end of the tang will be threaded 1/4-20. My question is can I just anneal the threaded portion after heat treat and then thread? This makes the most sense to me unless I'm missing something...

I love the concept of a take down! Can't wait to get to the handle making!

How many of you have made this style of knife? Likes...dislikes...?

Sounds like a good idea to me! Kyle Royer has some good videos on YouTube on a take down Bowie he does as a video class. Check him out hes the real deal Master Smith!

Sounds like a good idea to me! Kyle Royer has some good videos on YouTube on a take down Bowie he does as a video class. Check him out hes the real deal Master Smith!
yeah...i've watched some of his vids...I'll have to go search them for the take down info. His trip to asia was a good vid...that boy can eat! And just has a great all around attitude!

Do you quench the entire length of the blade and tang in oil? If you leave that section of the tang out of the oil, it most likely will not have to be annealed.

My question is can I just anneal the threaded portion after heat treat and then thread? This makes the most sense to me unless I'm missing something...

First... GLAD YOUR DOING BETTER!! Lots prayers have been going up on your behalf! You're not missing anything.....you nailed it.... that is IF you're doing a full hardening..... lots of times you can get away with just heat treating to behind the shoulders where the guard rests. I tend to go smaller than 1/4-20.....simply because it's easier to "blend" into the overall design.

Unless this knife is for YOU..... my suggestion is to glue it before letting it out of the shop! :) I used to build "take downs", but after people with more money than sense wrecked several, and wanted me to "repair" their stupidity for free, no more. Since then, when I'm asked if I will make a "take down", I tell them "of course.....but it will be fully glued up before it leaves my shop!" :)

Thanks Ed...hope you are doing well also!

Thanks guys...this knife is A-2. Air hardening. I am planning on bolting 4 or 5 together for heat treat to keep flat. I love A-2 (except machining...lol)

I figured after final temper to torch anneal the end and then run the die on it.

Unless this knife is for YOU..... my suggestion is to glue it before letting it out of the shop! :) I used to build "take downs", but after people with more money than sense wrecked several, and wanted me to "repair" their stupidity for free, no more. Since then, when I'm asked if I will make a "take down", I tell them "of course.....but it will be fully glued up before it leaves my shop!"

Wow...never even thought about that! I could get an end screw that is fatter than what I am using and grind away the spanner holes, or hex, or allen hole. I do think with the power of a screw and inherent weakness of wood....one mis-assembly of the knife would destroy the handle at least. Over the years watching family and friends with no mechanical "feel" destroy things you'd have not though possible...this is a big consideration...

Do you think perhaps a small printout to go with a take down knife placing full responsibility on owner instead of maker would suffice to at least not have the maker doing free fixes would work? I would like to make some of these take down and perhaps glue some...

I've only done one take down so far, the big dagger I entered in the knife choice awards this year. It was 1075 steel. When I quenched, I only went in a little past the guard shoulders. I also left the portion to be threaded fat and unfinished until after heat treat. Took threads just fine, no problem. Glad to hear you're recovering well, keep it up!

Back