Temper Oven

believerjoe

I was telling someone about possibly buying a heat treat oven and we had a misunderstanding. He said they had some oven that was new in the box and nobody knew what to do with it. Turned out to be a Quincy Labs oven. Highest temp is 450, but I think there is nothing wrong with it being used to temper? Max knife size would be 14 inches. Anything to be concerned about? Has a timer and such with digital read out.

Attachments

• CC84DDBB-DD07-4D1E-89A5-B7DE8CABA8DF.jpeg
    CC84DDBB-DD07-4D1E-89A5-B7DE8CABA8DF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
That should handle just about any steel that would be reasonably be used to make knife blades. Possibly there could be a high alloy tool or stainless steel that would need a higher temperature to obtain a lower HRc but the way around that is to not use them.

Doug

That will be much better than your average oven. According to their website the GCE model is accurate +- 0.5 Centigrade. You're not going to find that in an average oven.
Quincy Labs

Even refers to heat treating, but nothing about it in the manual. Getting closer to having more accuracy in my process. My wife will be most pleased by this since I will not be doing things inside anymore.

Lets put it this way, if you pass let me know I will make them an offer on it...As long as it does not swing 25 degrees in either direction I would be interested. Its hard to run your oven at 400 degrees for 1.5 to 2 hours at a time during the summer in Georgia. It makes the whole house hot.

OH WOW! That is a SWEET find! Most "lab grade" oven are so expensive, that they never list prices.....you usually have to "call for pricing". If you can get it for a decent price, I'd jump on it!

I am trading a knife for it, even if my skills are not worth the price. Testing it out today and working on the knife when I get off work. Coming along good for me.

If you really mean that it didn't get hotter than 400° there may be a problem in that some of the carbon steels may need to be tempered at around 450° to get a tougher blade. But if you pick your steel well 400° could be fine.

Doug

If you really mean that it didn't get hotter than 400° there may be a problem in that some of the carbon steels may need to be tempered at around 450° to get a tougher blade. But if you pick your steel well 400° could be fine.

Doug

I had it set to 400. 450 is the max on this unit.

That is a great find for sure. I temper my 1080 at 400-425 depending on the purpose of the knife. I think all 10-series steels would temper close to that.

Back