tempering oven

A.W.Stovall

I'm going to the goodwill store we have some large ones here in Dallas, Is there a type of toaster oven that works best, pics of the ones you guy's use would be nice
Thanks Anthony

I have a full size combo oven in my shop. The top is a micro wave and the bottom is a convection oven. The micro wave heats coffee and the convection oven is perfect for tempering or heating a snack for students or when I have workshops. Of course if you go this route you have to have 220 to power it. If you have room this works well. I find that the digital read out is quite accurate.

For a toaster oven if you can find one of the convection type they work better than the plain ones. Other than that I think that they are all about the same. When I used a plain jane toaster oven I wrapped it with Inswool to keep the heat more even and in the oven rather than radiating out into the shop.

Years ago I bought the cheapest toaster oven I could find. It stills works good. I had to get an oven thermometer to get the temps right , but other than that its ok.

As Dwane mentioned be very wary of the temperature. I connected a PID controller and thermocoulpe to mine. Before that when I set the dials on the toaster to 450 it was actually only 370 inside.

Seth

If you use a toaster oven, set a couple of bricks in it to stabilize the heat and use an oven thermometer for accuracy. I let it warm up good and set my blades on top of the bricks.

Back