Texturing copper scales.

coachcampana

I had a hunk of copper bar stock lying around and decides to use it for the scales on a friction folder. Instead of just shaping the scales and sanding it smooth, I was thinking about adding some texture. I was thinking about adding a design with the drill press or hammering it. Only thing is, i know nothing about the process of hammering copper for texture. Unless it's as simple as implied, and I should just peen away at it? I'll attach a photo of what I'm working with, by no means is this even close to being finished.
Thanks!

5cf56e0711bac8ab766f29f3f5b6376b.jpg
6c4d1203c711ee8b23507501b8eaf661.jpg

Coach,
Just be aware that peening is pushing metal away from where it is and it has to go somewhere else. Usually it is either directly away from the peen, or more likely, outwards towards the sides. The copper is going to spread away from the peen and will need to be reshaped after you are done.
I forgot to ask: Do you have a Dremel tool? I have used a carbide burr, round head, to lightly texture bolsters on full tang knives. It's not as deep a texture as the peening process, but it does give a nice look as the light dances off of the texture.

Last edited:
The rotary tool with a small burr will work real well on titanium, 416 and 305 stainless. If possible have some material like a putty or even steal the kid's clean clay for back up.
Frank

The rotary tool with a small burr will work real well on titanium, 416 and 305 stainless. If possible have some material like a putty or even steal the kid's clean clay for back up.
Frank
I do have a dremel, that's a good idea.
What would I need the putty or clay for?

Scotchbrite disc in the drill press and randomly place it on the scales for the swirly pattern polish look.

Whatever size you want your pattern to be. Is a personal choice. Is something we did screwin around w some ugly alum sheet an a hand air drill on a buddies truck and well 3 hrs later it was shiny an swirly. Lol try it on a piece of scrap to get the right pressure and size you want.

Frank

I've also used it on softer metals like copper, brass, and bronze. You just have to turn the speed down and use a very light pressure

Back