the best grinder belts

bubba-san

I started out with my knife grinding quite a few years ago with and old sears angle grinder and I made many nice blades with it no other tools except files . lately i have been using 3M gold belts in 60 and 80 grit and I have to be honest those belts arent any longer lasting than 80 grit carbide belts for 3.00 ea. the gold belts will barely remove the decarb on the blades ? are these things junk or what ? the gold belts at 10.00 each are a little expensive . Looking for something that will remove some material ? the steel I was grinding was some basic damascus ( annealed ) after a basic clean up on 2 medium blades the belt was shot ? I know I am going to get some different answers but, I appreciate any input you may have to offer . who makes the best longest lasting belts in your opinion . I have a bader and a grizz grinder , not much difference in thier ability to remove material .the bader however does a much better job of hollow grinding and such . maybe I just got hold of a bad batch. blades were kept cool by dipping in a little water to help . ?? need some gooood belts . thanks

Last edited:
Bubba,

I'm just a newbie, but I had a very similar question when I ordered my first batch of belts a couple of months ago. I asked Matt Bailey which belts he used and he recommended the Blaze and Gator Belts. I've been very pleased with both. The blaze belts really cut well and seem to last a good while.

I use the cheapest 36 or 40 grits belts for profiling and starting my bevels then switch to either 120 blaze or gators and climb to where I like it on gators or trizact and finish with scotch brite belts or a hand finish.

I also use Blaze and Gators or 3M Trizact CF belts. They cut great and for a long time with little or no "belt bump".

--nathan

One of the reasons I buy from Tracy at http://www.usaknifemaker.com/
Is because of his explanation of the belts weights , grits, type of material to use certain belts on and his own recomendations of the belts he uses.
Click the link and read for yourself.

Tracy's belt tutorial helped me select the combination of belts that I use. I am well pleased with the belts I got from him.

I start out rough grinding with the blase belts then switch to 100 Norax before heat treating. Then back to the 100 Norax and on to the 65 after the heat treat. Have some finer grit Norax on order to see how they work. Experimenting with the non-woven polyester belts to try to get a satin finish.

Doug Lester

Back