The blade show....for cripples?

Lagrange

Okay...so I've got this burning desire to go to the blade show this year. I've read what other members here have written about it, seen the pictures, etc.
The thing that concerns me is that I am somewhat crippled. (WHAT?) Yeah, I know...who'da thunk it?
I have an artificial leg and the other leg aint all that great. I also suffer from on again off again back pain. I walk with a cane and not very far, snd I cant stand up for long periods of time. But I love this knife thing and would love to meet you guys there.

...what should I expect if I go?
Or should I just stay home and wait for you guys to post pictures?

Eric,

I surely wouldn't recommend that you not go to the show. It is after all the best place to be at that time :)

There will be some waiting in lines etc. especially to grab a cup of coffee or a sandwich from the Subway downstairs.

As for the downstairs there are both escalators and an elevator to get up to the show floor and down to the restraunt/pit area.

There is not a ton of seating at the show. However the food vendor area in the back does have tables and chairs which you can usually get a seat there no problem. Tables and chairs also down by the subway and several sit down restraunts on the Subway level so a nice long break in a comfortable booth can be found there. There's quite a bit of comfortable seating in the "Pit" so you'ld be comfortable taking in a bit of bladeshow nightlife.

The opening of the show in the morning is a bit of a madhouse ! People everywhere and nowhere to sit but the floor. The line of folks that form waiting for the doors to open is a sight for sure. I always enjoy this time bumping into makers I know and catching up but I would highly recommend that you wait until about 30 minutes after the doors open to arrive for a quick entry without the waiting around.

It is alot of ground to cover to walk the entire show. That said though you can take it at your leasure and rest in the chairs near the vendors.

I think you'll find the entire Bladeshow crowd to all be courteous folks who are respectfull of others so expect no issues with getting trampled in a mad rush or anything like that, LOL.

Make your res and see you in Atlanta !

-Josh

Okay...so I've got this burning desire to go to the blade show this year. I've read what other members here have written about it, seen the pictures, etc.
The thing that concerns me is that I am somewhat crippled. (WHAT?) Yeah, I know...who'da thunk it?
I have an artificial leg and the other leg aint all that great. I also suffer from on again off again back pain. I walk with a cane and not very far, snd I cant stand up for long periods of time. But I love this knife thing and would love to meet you guys there.

...what should I expect if I go?
Or should I just stay home and wait for you guys to post pictures?

Eric,
I haven't been to Blade, but most shows of any kind involve a bit of standing and waiting. Also being on the "crippled list" I tend to avoid things were I could be stuck standing for too long because of back pain etc myself.

Since you really want to go, Get one of those small light hunting/shooting chairs
that fold up and if you need to sit while in line or somewhere that there are no chairs? You will have your own!
Cabela's catalog should have something that will work for you. Also they should have a pre flight check in so to speak for people with disabilities

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Eric,

The below is from the Cobb Galleria's website. If you can, you need to try to make at least one Blade Show. You won't regret it.

Disabled Access

It is Cobb Galleria Centre’s intention to provide all reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities to assist them in attending events at the Centre.

A limited number of wheelchairs are available free of charge at the Concierge Desk. Call 770-989-5030 to reserve a wheelchair in advance. Wheelchairs also can be reserved through Collier’s Pharmacy by calling 770-455-4433.

Scooters are available for rental and must be ordered in advance. For pricing visit Scootaround at http://www.scootaround.com.

Ample accessible parking is available directly in front of the main entrance. If the spaces are full, additional accessible parking can be found outside the East Concourse Entrance. Please see our campus map for the exact locations.

Persons with disabilities can be dropped off in the rotunda area of the main entrance or outside the East Concourse Entrance for easier access to events in the Exhibition Halls.

Sloped ramps can be found at the main entrance, and the far left doors are wheelchair accessible.

All of Cobb Galleria Centre’s event space is located on one level. From the rotunda, take the elevator to the second floor.

Eric, the one thing that you can surely expect is to be overwhelmed. Imagine, if you will, that you are 4 years old and are walking into Disney World for the first time. OK, now double that.

Eric

I think it would be incredibly cool to go to the Blade Show...go if you can!

My wife is quite crippled up from arthritis and has some of the same problems you do. At the store she uses one of the mobile carts if they are available and will usually take her cane (though not as much as I'd like her to).

You might consider a rolling walker. We had one given to us and after her initial embarrassment with it she uses it whenever she goes anywhere where she needs to walk for extended periods of time. Plus it has a seat that you can sit down on whenever needed.

Here's a link http://www.spinlife.com/category.cfm?categoryID=77

My wife's is almost identical to the first one. She even took it to a Renaissance Faire last year that was mostly dirt trails and it worked quite well.

We've never purchased from this place so I'm not advocating them in particular. More just to show you what they look like.

You guys are great!
I want to go if for nothing more than to meet some of you guys! I have been praying on it. I hope to be there.

Eric,
As far as I'm concerned, it's rough to get around if you're handicapped . Last year I took my mobility scooter with me and it was great. I can take mine apart and put it in the trunk or in the back of my son's truck. It goes back together in about five minutes. There are very few places to sit down unless you go to the food court. However, it's worth a trip to the show. I don't care what you're wanting, it's there. I like to buy my handle materials there so I can see what I'm buying, especially stag and presentation wood. I'm wood junky by the way. It's a great show and you won't regret going.

Eric, I agree with what has been said. The show is huge! Not many places to sit down. But, it is the Mecca of knife shows and for the first day you won't have any problem...you will just be floating around in awe. By the third day even your artificial leg will be tired. That being said, I try to keep a spare chair at my table and y ou are welcome to come by and sit a spell as you need to.

I think that the idea of the rolling walker sounds pretty good as long as its tall enough for me not to have to bend over to use it. I doubt I would be able to stay all three days, but I would like to. I am going to call down to Atlanta and talk to the people there and see if I can get some more information and then get tickets or whatever.
Your kind words, and encouragement are very much appreciated. Cant wait to meet as many of you as I can!

I think that the idea of the rolling walker sounds pretty good as long as its tall enough for me not to have to bend over to use it. I doubt I would be able to stay all three days, but I would like to. I am going to call down to Atlanta and talk to the people there and see if I can get some more information and then get tickets or whatever.
Your kind words, and encouragement are very much appreciated. Cant wait to meet as many of you as I can!

Eric,
There are light folding hunting chairs, push walkers with a small chair and all kinds of stuff available for us that need a bit of help. Look around on the web and at the local pharmacy/ Walmart / Hospital supply. You may want to reserve/rent one of those electric scooters from the show itself.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

A short while back my wife broke a couple toes. I didn't want to take the chance of stumbling or a fall while I wasn't home.
At the local pharmacy I found a really cool 4 wheel walker with hand brakes, a seat that flips up with a storage compartment and a bunch of other features.
You can use it like a normal walker, rest one knee on the seat and scoot along, or sit down and push yourself along.
It is really cool and cost about $150 at the pharmacy. It was the most expensive one they had but it has proved itself more than worth the money.
I am thinking maybe I should bring it to the Eugene knife show because it is comfortable to sit in.

Last edited:
I say go, reserve a wheel chair or rent a scooter so you can see it at your pace a leisure. Then post pics of all the cool stuff for those of us who can't be there. :)

Back