The knife that sent me to the ER

Joetrain

IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1207.jpg
This little guy put me in the ER. Apparently I have an allergy to airborne particles of deer antler. I had a problem when I was peening the brass. A gap developed bewteen the bolster and the handle. Did I do something out of order, or is this something do to with tecnique? Any input is great. This was just a practice knife, and once I found out that working with deer antler is no longer an option I stopped, so my handle looks pretty ugly. I put a little age on the blade with bleach water, just to see what would happen. I kinda like it.

Is it a skin allergy or a respiratory allergy? If it's respiratory a good respirator may let you work with it, although it's probably better just to stay away and use other materials. Hope you're feeling better.

Did you do your peening before the epoxy set up? Haven't done a knife the way your doing it in years. I recall having the pins in the holes and a few small clamps holding the slabs in place. After things have cured then I would peen.

Also, what were the tolerances on your holes?

I use a tapered reamer to ream the upper portion of the handle scale, and I make sure that the holes in my tang are fairly snug. That way, there should be very little movement laterally where the face of the scale meets the tang, but you still have plenty of room for the pins to fill on the outer portion of the scale.

A tapered reamer sounds like a good addition to my tool set. I will keep an eye out for one the next time I am out shopping.

Back