The only knife I have collected

R

rdj94a

I'm a maker who doesn't normally collect. I make knives to support my shooting and collecting habits. However I did come across one that I have had for awhile. I've had it 8 years or so. It's not what it is, but rather who made it. Yes I realize it is part of a cutlery carving set, but the stamp is perfect, most I have seen you can not read. The ivory is pretty and looks to be from the 1870's or so. A neat piece of history. Michael Price!!

Attachments

• mprice1.jpg.JPG
    mprice1.jpg.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 73
  • mprice2.jpg.JPG
    mprice2.jpg.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 82
  • mprice3.jpg.JPG
    mprice3.jpg.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 57
When I first started in this business, I was shown Michael Price Dagger, with shell inlays and a silver sheath. Prettiest thing I had ever seen. but since his bowies of that quality whenever they show up sell for over $100,000, I'll just have to settle for this.

You mean the Michael Price? As in handmade by him? Holy crap! I have a Bill Burke hunter that he said he put a "Michael Price" grind on it. Never seen a handmade knife of his in person. Any idea on the value?
Scott

The one and the same! I have had estimates of 1-3 thousand. No one has made a serious offer, someone may trade me out of it one day. I had a broker tell me he wanted so bad he could taste it, but he admitted only if he could steal it. I think the last bowie of his I saw auctioned in butterfield & butterfield went for over 126 thousand. That is out of reach for most of us. I have seen many of his cutlery sets over the years, but the stamps were so faint you couldn't read them. This one has a perfect stamp. I was very lucky to find it when I bought a whole bag of knives at an auction.

Back