The use of foil during heat treat.

B

Bush Monkey

[video=youtube;HOTKVLZlM8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTKVLZlM8Q[/video]​

Is it necessary?

Not for basic 10XX steels, probably not used for others as well but I don't have experience with those. The foil is mainly to prevent oxidation on stainless steels where the scale is much tougher.

It's not necessary. It's just a very useful tool for atmosphere control - and atmosphere control, generally is necessary. Other methods would include forge atmosphere, inert gas, vacuum, paints, powders and limiting time at temperature. Done right, foil is nice because it will handle high temperature for a long soak with little or no decarb or even oxides on the blade. It's cheaper than a vacuum by orders of magnitude and (usually) cleaner than inert gas, paints or powders.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions. I have read of novices and "experts" using foil on 10 series steel, O1 and several other types of non-stainless steel. Foil is not necessary to the Katana maker above but is an "essential" tool to some novice and "expert" knife makers.

Like most things in knife making and especially in heat treating, there is little consensus.

thanks again,

Jeff

I'd think foil would get in the way when quenching an oil or water quenching steel, and there isn't time to take it off unless you're very quick, and not afraid to drop a 1400+ degree blade every now and then.

I'd think foil would get in the way when quenching an oil or water quenching steel, and there isn't time to take it off unless you're very quick, and not afraid to drop a 1400+ degree blade every now and then.

I agree! I like Turco for the liquid quench stuff.

I have never used foil because I haven't used stainless yet. I use really thin wash of santinite clay to help with scale control on my high carbon steels. Works wonders.

My question would be what would be the best way to use the foil when you do need to use it?

Last edited:
Back