The use of sting ray

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
I am preparing to make some sheaths out of sting ray , possbly inlays . The skins Im getting are full skins with the white diamond scales in the centre., Any and all advice will be appreciated .kellyw

Thanks dave. I read you tutorial before I emailed you ,i am thinking ill need to drill the holes for sewing and ive just ordered some thicker polyester waxed thread that thread should be ok? .Also if I soak it to help in cutting is that ok to do or just use tin snips.

I do punch my holes with a sharpened pin, and use waxed nylon thread.Soaking it should help but not necessary if your using snips.Like I said only the real thick stuff is problematic.Dave:)

In the past I have used a bandsaw to cut it. Just be sure to use a fine tooth blade ( I believe I used an 18 tpi blade). You'll need to soak it in water if it you need to shape it.

I always use a shear to cut it and think it isn`t necessary to soak.
You should cover the border of the inlay with thin leather and grind down the pearls below and you`ll have no problems with stitching and sewing.
Much easyer to handle is ground stingray !

best regards,
Fritz

I got the skins today they are tanned and very soft,I am way more than happy with this . Its some of the nicest stuff Ive ever done. They are also big enough that the side pieces left over are 4 inches long and 1.5 inches wide so Im sure those strips will get used as well. The scales are hard the the leather is soft as pig s skin.

Back