Think its ready to HT

seider

I think this is ready for HT I have it sanded down to 400grit (let me know if I need more) I have the blade at its thinninst point is about .050 do i need to get the spine to a finner finish I know it will get a carbon crust on it that i will need to get off. Let me know if I need to go father or any things I need to fix this is my first knife.

tn[1].jpg

Unless it's stainless and going in an envelope, you may be wasting your time sanding to 400 grit because of scale from ht. But it can't hurt I guess. I'll take stainless to 15 thousands but leave carbon blades a little thicker.

Rudy

It is 1084 steel I know I may have a lot of sanding in my future seeing as it is 1084 should I go farther I did not want to go much father because of the carbon build up

I say go for it, any more sanding isn't necessary.
Before ht, my belt finish is typically 280g on carbon steel. Check your blank for any missing pin holes and relieve any sharp edges before sending it off. After ht, dip the blade repeatedly up and down in white vinegar then wipe it down. You'll see the scale disolve , it doesn't usually take much time. Don't let it sit because it will etch the steel, hopefully your 400g sanding job won't be pitted. Start finishing at a lower grit than 400g. Cross your fingers, hold your tongue just right and good luck.

Rudy

Thanks will give it a try. Yea that is why I said almost ready got to drill pin holes and drill some others to get rid of weight

Back