Thinking about a Benchtop Milling Machine

Johnny Roberts

So after seeing some of the slipjoint and tactical folder work that is being done on mills, I think I want to get one.

Problem is that I don't know the first thing about them. But I need to start somewhere.

I would be willing to spend about a 1000 bucks for hopefully a turn-key setup but would go a bit more if it was justifiable.

It would need to run off 110 and I am hoping about 1.5 horses.

Does anyone have a similar benchtop mill that they really like?

Who makes a good one? I hear the Grizzlys are flakey and the customer service bites.

This is a big step in the folder direction for me so let me know what you think. I could use the advice.

Johnny

Get one that uses R8 collets.
Get a 6inch vise
Get the largest one you can for the money.
Make sure the spindle RPM will slow enough to work with Titanium(mill/drill).
Reversible motor.

Probably more but those just come to mind right now.

Talk to John Barker...He just got one and a pretty good deal for a new one I think.
Also Tom Anderson does some things with his that are nothing short of amazing.

Scott

Last edited:
Expect to pay a 1000. for the mill and about the same for tooling.The mill is the cheap part.
I have the HF mill and it's ok but I got it cheap.
Stan

I'm knida in the market also, I have checked around a pretty good bit, problem I have is my shop floor is wood and some of those small mills are pretty heavy like 400-600 lbs, if you were to get a micro mill just dont know if it would do everything I want, maybe someone on here can suggest us a reasonbly priced and sized and yes on the r8 collet if at all possible

I managed a good deal off of Craigslist. If you can save money and wait, a lot of times the deals will show up. The key for me has been to make sure I have the cash available and that I'm patient. When I get in a rush I tend to get stuff I wish I hadn't.

SDS

Get one with a dove tailed column and has a knee. This allows for the work table to be raised making set-ups easier and the dove tailed column is much more rigid and accurate. Good luck.

Bill

I picked up a HF Mini Mill for $250 off of Craigslist.... it will do for slipjoints....for now.
Just can't remove a lot of material per pass.

So far I haven't bought much tooling , collets , some cutters , 3" vise , parallel set , made a 5"x10" 1 1/2" tooling plate , R8 arbor and precision keyless chuck , some fly cutters , and did a belt drive conversion on it , as the gear drive was LOUD ! It is just under 1 hp.

I did find the mini mill , perhaps due to the single bolt on the tilting column , flexed or moved as I was milling. Bolting the mini-mill to a 1" plate and then to the table , and adding a 3/8 thick L bracket to the rear ( bolted to the plate ) , stiffened it right up , no movement when milling now.

DSCF1393.jpg

belt conversion
DSCF1415.jpg

Realize with the smaller machines you have to have more patience and go slower. If I hadn't found this one cheap ( and in great shape hardly used ) , I would have went for a bigger & more powerful machine.

Why's that? :confused: Only thing I have ever done with the revers gear is demolish cutters by running them backwards! :eek::mad:

cool 1

Didn't they learn you nuthin in that machine school??? cool 1

Your probably right for knife work. I used to build a lot of prototypes and reverse has a lot of uses. Plus I have a bunch of left cut end mills. :p:D

I've got a Millrite (basically a small frame bridgeport type knee mill), a harbor freight mini mill, and a taig. For small stuff, I use the taig 90% of the time. It is tuned up and is more accurate for small stuff. I mainly use the millrite to make jigs and larger operations. I agree... go with R-8 if you can.

More info on this Taig you speak of how big is it ? I looked it up onlie, which model do you have, is it the same mini mill jantz sells?

Thanks Anthony

Last edited:
Didn't they learn you nuthin in that machine school??? cool 1

Your probably right for knife work. I used to build a lot of prototypes and reverse has a lot of uses. Plus I have a bunch of left cut end mills. :p:D

I mean I figured there where backwards cutters (probably metric, cuz everything metric is backwards), I'd just haven't run in to anything that would benefit from it, in my weeks and weeks of class room experience!

:unsure:
cool 1

I mean I figured there where backwards cutters (probably metric, cuz everything metric is backwards), I'd just haven't run in to anything that would benefit from it, in my weeks and weeks of class room experience!

:unsure:
cool 1

You've been to Kansas Les...It's kind of a backwards place:D:D
BTW I applaud your class time. I say get all you can.:)

Back