Thinking outta the “Chefs-knife” box!

sybo

I have been playing around with some Kitchen cutters lately and have had some interesting comments from non-Knife community people. Can I get some opinions here from this amazing pool of talent!

These are both CPM-154, stock removal, 8” and about 6”.

PS, I DO like doing something different.
Jim
DBKnives
https://imgur.com/a/t8PKp
https://imgur.com/a/NgIQg

Moderators feel free to move this to the kitchen knife section if you see fit. !!

I think they look great. My only feedback is on your second one. I noticed you didn't do a full-height grind. Is there some reason you want the blade so thick?

Customer stated he wanted something “beefy” when cutting meat. Its a little thick for my tastes also.

He states he sometimes uses a hammer on the spine to “chop” through goat bones when cutting/ processing baby ones to eat............ I shutter.....

Customers want what they want. Great looking knife.

Homeboy needs a bandsaw. But many Jamaicans/Islanders do this. I wish they didn't, I hate picking bone shards out of my curry goat when I eat it, but it seems to be the natural order of things in that style of cuisine.

John, you're right - those little bone shards are a hassle in foods where the bone was "chopped" rather than sawed. Hard to be some good baby goat..... hmmmm, why does "baby goat" sound so much worse to folks than "lamb"? Same thing..... and taste a lot alike.

Ken H>

Sybo he would find out if he would let you bring the grind to the top edge he didn't have to swing quite so hard! Nice work.

Ken, sounds delicious to me! A friend once told me she was a vegetarian. Couldn't help, it I messaged her back and said, Hon, that is the natural order to things, veggies right along side of a big slab of meat, a little on the rare side please!! No since in crucifying the meat! She didn't appreciate the humor though!!

Sybo he would find out if he would let you bring the grind to the top edge he didn't have to swing quite so hard!

exactly.

People ask me how sharp a cleaver should be. My answer is "just as sharp as any other kitchen knife. You should be able to shave with it." A good cleaver cuts through the bone without smashing it. Most cleavers are pieces of junk. They are slabs of steel with some random "V" edge on the bottom and make up for abysmal cutting performance by being obnoxiously thick and heavy. I've yet to find a cleaver that didn't need a complete re-profile.

My point being, people see these ridiculously bad cleavers and that makes them think a meat knife should have similar geometry.

But again, in Sybo's case it's likely a cultural thing his client wants. If you're gonna whack through bones, then the knife needs to stand up to that. People gonna do what people gonna do...

John, you're right - those little bone shards are a hassle in foods where the bone was "chopped" rather than sawed. Hard to be some good baby goat..... hmmmm, why does "baby goat" sound so much worse to folks than "lamb"? Same thing..... and taste a lot alike.

Ken H>

I love me some good baby goat and pile of rice and beans with the sauce poured all over. I know you know all about it. Some plantains on the side and I'm happy as a clam. That is, until I have to work out a needle shaped bone shard with my front teeth every five bites. It becomes a lot like work, like eating fish full of fine rib bones.

Some plantains on the side
Now you're talking my language!!! My ex and girls used to say Plantianos just made a meal! They really liked them when they got black 'n sweet, cooked with a bit of honey or brown sugar. GREAT food! We were living up a jungle river in Guatemala at the time.

Yes! Plantains become magical when they're black. All that natural sugary goodness comes out and they have softened up. And you nailed it... a little brown sugar or honey so that when they are done they are super soft but you still get bites of that chewy caramelized sugar along the edges.

Now I'm hungry! If it wasn't a school night I'd round up the kids and we'd go grab some palomilla steak and onions with plantano frito! La Teresita is a Tampa institution and they are open 24 hours. There's also something magical about a big cup of cafe con leche and some Cuban toast in the middle of the night.

Back