Third Arm knife grinding jig

I think it is a pretty cool concept. I remeber watching Nathan's video awhile ago and thinking.........genius! I like the out of the box thinking and might have to rig something up.

It isn't for sale, which means it hasn't "hit the market". This is a trade secret that I am sharing with the community for knifemakers' personal use. It is not a perfected product, but rather a rough concept that can be adapted, expanded or improved upon in an infinite number of ways. The notion that I need to present a refined and perfected product and demonstrate its exact application is precisely what is wrong with the knifemaking world today - no one wants to think for themselves, no one wants to experiment, no one wants to risk failure in knife tech development, and everyone wants someone else to figure everything out for them. My exact intention here is to leave a bit of mystery and leave an open door for the knifemaking community to develop new innovations and applications.

Please see my above comments regarding the notion that I need to prove anything. I haven't made any claims other than the claims in the YouTube video description and above. My primary claim is that it is innovative, and that it locks the bevel angle while allowing freedom of motion in 2 linear axes and the remaining 2 rotational axes. If you disagree with one of those claims, fire away with your counter. I am not claiming it is better or worse than a different method of grinding - that is a matter of personal preference. Application suitability is completely up to the user. As far as I'm concerned, the results speak for themselves (the YouTube description has been updated to include more links to photos). I completely disagree that most knifemakers grind freehand - I think that statement might have been true 10 or 20 years ago, but not now. Get on reddit or Facebook groups and you may see what I mean. I agree - jigs do have a stigma to the dwindling minority of knifemakers who grind freehand, but to the majority who do not, jigs are highly valued.

You rang my bell when you made the post, not the other way around!

Quote:
The notion that I need to present a refined and perfected product and demonstrate its exact application is precisely what is wrong with the knifemaking world today - no one wants to think for themselves, no one wants to experiment, no one wants to risk failure in knife tech development, and everyone wants someone else to figure everything out for them.

patriqq, I think for myself every day, thank you very much!

Quote:
Please see my above comments regarding the notion that I need to prove anything. I haven't made any claims other than the claims in the YouTube video description and above. My primary claim is that it is innovative, and that it locks the bevel angle while allowing freedom of motion in 2 linear axes and the remaining 2 rotational axes.

I never came to you tell you that I wanted to see your new and exciting innovation, you were explaining that you had one, all I did was ask to see it in action. If that offends you, that offense mystifies me! "The gentlemen doth protest too much, methinks" !

Sir, as far as I am concerned, we are done! You may post whatever you choose and you won't need to look for my name attached anywhere to your post!! Your attitude is one I can do without! By the way, have a good day!!!

Sir, as far as I am concerned, we are done! You may post whatever you choose and you won't need to look for my name attached anywhere to your post!! Your attitude is one I can do without! By the way, have a good day!!!

I do apologize. I assure you that beneath my sour attitude is a love for the craft and respect for everyone in it. I have this link posted on several places online and I'm getting hammered with naysayers. Nothing was directed at you personally, I'm sorry I wasn't more pleasant.

Cool idea, I would shrink it down. The same motion could be achieved on a work rest as I see it. Maybe clamping a base on an existing work rest where 2 rods magnetically attach to the base.

Cool idea, I would shrink it down. The same motion could be achieved on a work rest as I see it. Maybe clamping a base on an existing work rest where 2 rods magnetically attach to the base.
No, everything depends on the vertical rods being MUCH longer than the knife - see above explanations. Unless, however, you are imagining sliding the base plate on the work rest.

Just thinking out loud, maybe flip and hang it. but your saying legs need to stay that long?

open

Attachments

• x.png
    x.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back