This blade is finished - Cobb Scales

opaul

I like the way this one finished up. In retrospect, shaping the handle like I normally do worked fine. The white kernels were somewhat soft at the top, so grinding them down closer to the dense cobb actually worked best after all. The scales are hand polished.

Op that came out perfect. I know you were worried about the scales, but IMO they couldn’t have come out any better. This knife will make many people jump in its lifetime... looks just like a snake!

So what do you do to the corncob to get scales like that OP?
Morning Von. I purchased these from a knife supplier that had them listed as stabilized. So I would suspect it's the same process as stabilizing wood.
Unfortunately, the vendor does not stock them any longer and I can't find another source.

Morning Von. I purchased these from a knife supplier that had them listed as stabilized. So I would suspect it's the same process as stabilizing wood.
Unfortunately, the vendor does not stock them any longer and I can't find another source.

Thanks OP. They are a unique looking set of scales and add a new dimension to the visual of the knife.

Like the scales a lot! You said they don't have them anymore?? That's to bad they look cool!! Esp on that blade!

.....vendor does not stock them any longer and I can't find another source.

opaul - I live in the land of corn. If you want corncobs, I can send you corncobs. It would be up to you to have them stabilized.

opaul, that is a very cool look! I have seen some other strange scales, such as pine cones and armadillo scales. I guess if the stabilization mix pulls all the way through, you can make scales from most anything!!

Thanks for all the kind compliments. This is going to stay with me and be my personal knife. :)

Back