Thoughts on Media Blasting and Coatings

James Terrio

I've watched a lot of guys struggle with under-powered, cheapo blasting kits, or spend way too much sending knives out for coating... well, I found a better way. There is a small custom shop near me that specializes in motorcycle/snowmobile/hot rod parts and so forth. They have been more than happy to work with me on my small orders (couple blades here, a few guards and pommels there) and I'm extremely pleased with the quality.

Just as important, I couldn't have rented a compressor for a day, let alone buy a blasting rig or set-up for GunKote etc, for the cost of having it all done by a pro. No shipping costs and fast turnaround is a big bonus.

Now, I cannot compare the powder-coating these folks use directly to Gun-Kote, Ceram-a-Kote or what-have-you, and I'm not knocking those products or services. But I can tell you that it's extremely durable. Remember, this stuff is designed for racing exhausts, motorcycle frames and stuff like that.

When I first went to their shop the fellow handed me piece he'd coated and a screwdriver and let me beat the snot out of it. I got bored before I ever got down to bare metal.

Sharpening stones glide right off; I used a 400-grit belt to take it off the edges of the blades I had done and the powder-coat didn't chip, flake or peel. Then I just sharpened them normally.

Check your yellow pages for hot-rod shops and motorsports service centers, and ask who does their custom work, that's how I found these guys. Support local guys when you can. (as a plus, the guy I'm using happens to be an avid hunter who passed out my business cards to all the guys in his archery club, and we're in the process of designing his dream knife)

Just a thought. :)

Good tip! I've had the powder coat on some commercial knives come off with a hard look which kinda put me off of coated blades, but it makes sense with all the other hard use items out there that someone is doing it right. And I'm with you on supporting local!

Hate to bring back from the dead, but thought I should warn that some powdercoats cure at 450-470. It may be something you want to check as it May adjust your temper up too far.

That's a good point, ffkaelb. Be sure to ask your PC guy what temps he operates at. My guy never goes above 375F so it's not a problem for the steels I use.

Back