Ti 2/56 ?

Oze

Have some '2-56 X 1/4″ Diameter Short Socket Head Screws' from Ti Connectors.
For the ignorant who are only familiar with metric, what do I use to put a female thread in some metal for these little boy?
Will they just thread them selves if the hole is close to size?

Have some '2-56 X 1/4″ Diameter Short Socket Head Screws' from Ti Connectors.
For the ignorant who are only familiar with metric, what do I use to put a female thread in some metal for these little boy?
Will they just thread them selves if the hole is close to size?
You just need a 2-56 tap mate. What type of material are you going into? If Ti then there are some things to consider as it’s pretty easy to break these little taps.

Am using 1095 about 2mm thick. Drilled a hole and just screwed it in but it broke half way. Just starting to make my first folder and wanted to be able to use some of these fancy screws on occasions.

a 1.8mm drill will give about 65% threads, but a #49 (0.073") drill will give you about 55% threads using a cutting tap. A thread forming tap is different. I might even consider using a #48 drill (.076") which would be less than 50% threads, but should still be plenty of threads to hold. Using a larger drill makes it easier to tap {g}. You might try a 2mm (.0787") on a test strip to see how it taps. It would only be 35% or so threads but might work good and still be plenty strong.

THANKYOU. It looks like I need some smaller taps in Imperial sizes.
Yep - absolutely. I’d by a couple of taps in 2-56 and you will be fine. I bought a few online that were quite cheap and they have worked well. I broke a few when I first started trying to tap Ti but I have worked out my process now and am pretty confident. If you are tapping annealed high carbon steel you should be fine. Gun nose taps are often quoted as being best style to use but honestly just a normal tap works well for me.

Buy a hand tapper. Using a taping handle by hand you will break a tap often (2-4holes). I did reasonably well with a portable drill. But a hand tapper is the cure.

Buy a hand tapper. Using a taping handle by hand you will break a tap often (2-4holes). I did reasonably well with a portable drill. But a hand tapper is the cure.

I’ve found tapping 2-56 holes in Ti that using tapmatic fluid and a cordless drill (yes I know it sounds bad) has been very successful. I made three linerlocks without breaking a tap after I moved away from handled manual tapping. What is a “hand tapper” Jesse?

Hand tapper = something along these lines :

I also have had the best luck with a cordless drill.
I now have a 2-56 tap that has tapped dozens of holes.

Back