time to upgrade...? or not..

N.N

For over a year now i've been using my trusty (well, I've actually had to replace it once), second, harbor freight 1x30 grinder (that $9, 2 year replacement plan is worth it). I've learned how to get around it's shortfalls including improvising a tool rest etc. And since i'm really small time, and never really thought about getting much bigger than small time... my current order list might have something to say about that..., figured I would just keep working with this little thing for a long long time. For all intensive purposes, I think it's actually working pretty decently.

Last weekend I had the pleasure of watching up close Lin Rhae and Paul Lebetard grind on a KMG. The sky opened and butterflies appeared and all that stuff and I saw first hand what I am missing and the time I am wasting.

Enter the dilemma. I can't afford that, nor anything remotely close to it, or the more expensive belts, nor do I have a place to put it, etc. But it did get me to thinking about upgrading at least a little.

Since i don't know anything about them or can I actually see one or play with it before I buy it, would something like the craftsman 2x42 worth the little extra? Is the cost of something like that worth the possibly better results in my grinding? I always thought the next step would be the grizzly 2x72 at around $500, but I really don't see myself taking that step either, mainly because i'm cheap and my wife will kill me.

I know there's plenty already said about a 2x42...just go ahead and get a better one and such. That's a quick short answer, I know that. But what i'm asking here is if it's worth the cost opposed to using something that's presumably worse... And your opinions on if it would actually be better. What I'm asking about is a little cost now to improve a little now, while I can, versus waiting who knows how long and saving (or trying to) for something more respectable which may or may not ever happen.

I say buy the best you can afford. If that is the 2 x 42", so be it! It seems like there are some here using a 2 x 42".

I always thought the next step would be the grizzly 2x72 at around $500, but I really don't see myself taking that step either, mainly because i'm cheap

Are you good at fabricating stuff? Welding? Drilling and tapping accurately? I built my 2x72 for less than $500. To quote you, "because I'm cheap" and I'm patient, I was able to collect most of the materials over the span of a month or two. The big costs were the wheels and motor/VFD, but I bought them spread out over a few weeks and the wife didn't even notice!

I'd really like the opinion of those who have used that craftsman 2x42 as well as some other ones, just to see what they really think the difference is

take a look at the 1/3hp craftsman 4x36. 4x36 is the grinder of choice for folks that do lapidary and metallurgical polishing, so will find many choices of belts. you might find a grinder on sale for $125, usual price is about $165. i have had one for 3years and it is still going. the only modification i have done was put a 4x4 ceramic tile on the platen. it is sorta portable, weighing about 25 pounds.

Last edited:
I used a craftsman 2 x 42 and made a lot of knives with it. It ran too fast. It was flimsy with an inadequate platen. The motor burned out on me once. Belts at that time were expensive locally and of poor quality. It did create blades faster than my 1 x 30. It also destroyed many blades faster than my 1 x 30.

By the way, you mentioned in an earlier post that you couldn't afford the more expensive 2 x 72 belts. I think you will find 2 x 72 belts significantly cheaper. Your 1 x 30 has 30 square inches of abrasive. The 2 x 72 has almost 5 times that much abrasive. You'll also find a better selection of abrasive options for the 2 x 72.

For what it's worth, I'd choose the Coote over the Grizzly. ....and really, the KMG with flat platen is only $750 (plus motor)

Is the 2 x 42 worth it? I think I'd find a way to skip that step if I had it to do over - but if you get it - and it holds together, you can probably resell it when the time comes.....

Back