Timken Made in USA

I don't think I've ever seen a knife made from a bearing race like that. the hole in the back is off, I assume that was to preserve the Timken stamping.
while it's rustic it's definitely different, well done Jennifer.

I don't think I've ever seen a knife made from a bearing race like that. the hole in the back is off, I assume that was to preserve the Timken stamping.
while it's rustic it's definitely different, well done Jennifer.
Only took me 5 years or so to figure out how to make it.. For the first prototype, I think it has potential. it was a 392A Timken bearing so not that wide.. Punched hot to pull the material over enough..

Yes, the hole is off in the back, and yes, to preserve the "Timken". I did it all old school with no electric tools. both holes were hot punched..

I have a few wider ones to make a more full size knife..

I was able to get the desired effect visually I was looking for.. bluing the blade helped to offset the copper and the cherry handle being lighter..

I originally was going to use Bacote for the handle but had nothing thick enough to center the blade with the offset forged in. Cherry, ash or unstabilized burl were my choices.

I'm not a fan of leaving any forging marks in the blade but see it often in others work.. I figured a few wouldn't matter but I still don't like them.

Thank you..

If you can, find a shop that works on heavy duty trucks - dump trucks, semis, etc. - and see if you can get some of their used, worn out bearings.

Some of those bearings are huge. Really any place that works on big commercial or industrial stuff is going to have giant bearings laying around.

Just gotta get permission to look in their scrap pile or bin.

Thanks 52 Ford.. Handy materials to have on hand.

I've got 4 whole bearings left and 1 I started but forged the Timken USA right out of it.. I did not see the value in having the "Timken USA" it had to grow on me.. :)

Try putting the Timken markings and the "Made in USA" (if it has it) down the spine of the grip. As in, use that section of the bearing as the top of a full tang on a knife. Aught to look really nice.

Try putting the Timken markings and the "Made in USA" (if it has it) down the spine of the grip. As in, use that section of the bearing as the top of a full tang on a knife. Aught to look really nice.
True true.. Just have to find the bearings that have it incised into the side of the bearing instead of the side..

Nearly all the bearings I have seen with the bearing numbers are etched vs stamped.

That's true. Older bearings are probably more likely to have the markings stamped. It'd be much easier to laser engrave the markings, nowadays. With stamped markings, the metal is being deformed, stresses added to the metal, etc. and that has to be dealt with after stamping. Heat treating and grinding...

Again, look at heavy equipment, big trucks, etc. Might check Ebay for NOS bearings or used bearings.

That's true. Older bearings are probably more likely to have the markings stamped. It'd be much easier to laser engrave the markings, nowadays. With stamped markings, the metal is being deformed, stresses added to the metal, etc. and that has to be dealt with after stamping. Heat treating and grinding...

Again, look at heavy equipment, big trucks, etc. Might check Ebay for NOS bearings or used bearings.
I'm not planning on spending a lot of time with these particular knife designs.. I have 4 more bearing shells with the "Timken USA" stamped in..
I go through phases and will make a bunch of 1 type of item(knives, axes, martial arts tools, latchs, hinges, etc, etc) when I am feeling inspired to get out and do them.

Thats exactly what this.. Complete inspiration..

If I do happen to make a go at producing these for resale I will keep the information about ebay and such on tap.. Thank you..

No problem. I do the same thing, going through phases. Nothing wrong with it - makes you more "well-rounded".

Oh, and "well-rounded" wasn't mean't to be a cheesy joke about bearings, but.... yeah.

Back