Tips to avoid material screw ups, and our stories of thorough or creative failures

Frank Hunter

The recent thread on some handle materials wanting to "blow out" during drilling got me thinking about the long, long list of expensive mistakes I've made regarding the fairly simple process of either installing scales or a hidden tang block. Here are some of my best ones, this can be read as a "don't do it this way". Feel free to chime in.

Very early on I worked with a lot of Dymondwood. It's pretty explicit that this material has a grain to it similar to wood, which goes one direction and needs to be laid out lengthwise with the handle. My first project with it that required more than the 1.5" wide scale pair for about $4 was a batch of many knives using 3 or 4 slabs 5" x 10" in size. Easy fifty dollars in materials. I laid out handle scales with a sharpie scribed around my pattern and went to cutting - and I had run each and every 4.5" long scale crosswise on the sheets and only caught it the next day. They're in a bucket at the shop still.

Also, sometime later I began to experiment with heavy skeletonization of my tangs. I typically run a series of large 9/16" holes lengthwise and then adjacent to those run 5/16" and fill in with 3/16" or so, but on one knife I decided that I could squeak some extra 3/16" amidst everything which ended up nearly centered on the tang. I promptly drilled through a burl handle using a hole that was a good half inch off in the spacing and definitely wasn't acceptable - and then did it AGAIN after I busted the original ruined scale off and had it all re-glued with new material. That burl was inexpensive enough but I'd hand selected it, put it through the resaw and had time to and from for stabilizing. I now mark my tang holes for pins with a buzz with the parts scriber.

Recently I had a single scale of a pair of very nice pair of green/blue/cream mammoth ivory scales mitered to fit a double bolstered knife, and was fitting the mate of it to fit the other side of the tang. To do this I typically slide the first, prepared scale out of the miters after I have it perfect and face them together on their flats and use a pencil to give me a very rough "grind to" line, mirroring the size of the finished scale, the miter needs to be individually fit but it helps speed things up especially if one scale is overlong and you'd like to bandsaw it close to start with. I did this, and for whatever reason cut well INSIDE the miter instead of outside it. So that knife had it's ricasso bolsters knocked off (which were already shaped and at 220 grit) and replaced with a set 3/16" longer into the scale region to compensate for my suddenly shorter handle material, which also required shortening and re-mitering the first scale. I figure I managed to get roughly 80 percent of over $300 in mammoth ivory on that particular knife after it was all said and done.

I feel your pain Frank. My experience was making Christmas gifts. I was getting ready to put scales on several fillet knives. As with the burl, the wood was not expensive, but had been hand selected, resawn, book matched, cut close to final shape, pin holes drilled, scales labeled. epoxy mixed, first two knives done, epoxy spread on final one, then the wife phone rang. having only minutes to go before epoxy hardened, i quickly put the scales on then went to the house(something urgent like beans or corn with supper) returned to find I had put right hand scale on left side and vice versa. devcon is right when it says quick dry short cure.
scott

Frank,
Sometimes It seems like I butcher most everything I touch in my shop!:what!:

Over the years I don't know how many sets of 40-$100.00 sets of stabilized and dyed woods I have massacred.:biggrin:

Last edited:
That is my biggest fear. Wrecking a piece of wood. No matter what it's one of a kind and can't be replaced. Metal is an object you might not be able to recreate the exact pattern in a damascus blade but it is a piece of steel and can be replaced, a piece of natural materal is the way it is for natures reason and there will never be two alike and it kills me when I have to throw one away. It's only happened twice so far and I hope to keep that count there. I have learned not to do any handle shaping after my day job. My usual day job work shift is in excess of 14 hours so if I work on knives too it can easily exceed 18 to 20 hours and that's where I shape a handle until I hit the liner or something else stupid.

I'm still learning what works and what doesn't; so far about a 30/60 ratio. Lots of "Oh, that's why you don't do it that way" moments going on in my shop. By the time I have screwed something up to the point that it needs thrown away I'm usually more concerned with the loss of my time rather than the cost of the materials.

Finished up a knife over the weekend, had g10 scales. I epoxied the drop off ends together to use for a ferro rod. Mistakenly drilled the hole the same diameter as the rod, decided I could tap it in with a rubber mallet. End of rod on the bench, tapping on the g10, snapped the rod. Still needed to use this piece of g10...tried pulling the thing out with vice grips and chewed it up enough to guarantee that wouldn't work.

Took the mess over to the grinder. Thought I could grind off the rod and the hole and start over with what I had left. HUGE sparks, terrifying, hit the switch fast! Decided to drill it out and try to use the same hole. More huge sparks, but not as terrifying. G10 scorched. Hot hot bit. Finally got it all out. Big ol' mess. Ground that hole down and ended with a little handle, about half the size I intended.

Tried using that bit today and it's shot. My guess is it heated up enough to soften and is junk. Really cheap mistakes, but a frustrating lesson well earned.

Matt -

I rather enjoyed the vision of grinding on the ferro rod. I did several knives with firesteels matched to the handle a few years ago and had the same shenanigans with it being surprisingly brittle and having some sparky re-dos.

Remember to tape or otherwise protect the wood of your scales when you drill. I forgot to do that and I am in the process if trying to salvage some nice ironwood.

Here's my latest... if you're going to use your metal cutting bandsaw to split wood blocks into scales, make sure the blade is sharp. I ended up getting one set of scales out of a $40 block instead of two, because my cut got all wonky because I was having to push too hard. Only a $20 mistake this time.

I've cut out more than one left hand sheath and even started stamping them before I realized it was meant to be right handed.
then there was the time I knocked over a brand new 4 oz. bottle of leather die on my work bench. or a couple months ago I was screwing a cap on a bottle of die , real tight you know,so it wouldn't leak...and the cap split in two leaving me with brown blotched hands for the next three days. it's funny now, not so much then. one time I was running a 1/16" drill bit in my drill press and some how ran it right thru my thumb nail into my thumb, I had to turn the drill press off and back off the chuck by hand to get it out.I have a permanent reminder of that.I can't think of much material I've ruined but there's some kind of gremlin in my shop. oh and I started a fire grinding titanium once that I thought I could put out, I finally did but it took a fire extinguisher to do it.

Here's a formula I have proven over and over in the shop.

(Fatigue) + (long day) + (crazy deadline) = (expensive mistake)

I think there is another one that has to do with the severity of the mistake being proportional to the amount of time you already have in the project.

I've been machining since I was a teenager and I'm 53 this year and have just started to learn to make myself go to bed when it's late and I'm doing the last 5% on a project. I guess I'm a slow learner.....

How many of you make your mistakes late at night?

I don't work late but I know when the little voice says I'm tired and I don't stop the next move is a mistake usually when I'm grinding. This is when injures occur also.
To do my best work I have to have total concentration, sometimes this is only 20 min. before quitting. Frustrating.

I don't make any mistakes!
I just have what I refer to as a DM, those Design Modifications!
I was making a 8" Chef but had a MD and made it into a 7" slicer. :3:

the idiots i work for want to put all maintenance folks on 12 hour days. is it kinda curious that most accidents and oops happen after hour 10. i brought that up but the main concern is covering more time with same number of people. is cheaper to pay a little overtime than hire a new person.
when working on knives, if i start to feel tired or hurrying, i try to stop and take a break, overnite break is best

All joking aside,
I really only work for about 45 minutes on any one thing and then ether sit down or stand up, which ever is the opposite of what I was just doing to stretch or rest and relax.

My hands are getting tweeked from knife making on top of a few other physical challenges so its good to stop, check emails and whats happening with my Bros on KDS for a few minutes and let my mind reboot before I wreck any more materials or myself!

"the idiots i work for want to put all maintenance folks on 12 hour days. is it kinda curious that most accidents and oops happen after hour 10."

Many years ago the brainiacs of business deduced that the 8 hr day was most efficient. (the max you should push your minion) So, while a 12 hr day looks great on paper, after a time it will yield less than ideal results. Especially in the area of worker morale. I've done a LOT of years at 12 hrs 5 days with 5 hrs on Saturday. You get home tired on Saturday with a pile of chores to do.

I loved it at age 25....not so much at age 40.

"the idiots i work for want to put all maintenance folks on 12 hour days. is it kinda curious that most accidents and oops happen after hour 10."

Many years ago the brainiacs of business deduced that the 8 hr day was most efficient. (the max you should push your minion) So, while a 12 hr day looks great on paper, after a time it will yield less than ideal results. Especially in the area of worker morale. I've done a LOT of years at 12 hrs 5 days with 5 hrs on Saturday. You get home tired on Saturday with a pile of chores to do.

I loved it at age 25....not so much at age 40.

i worked 12s on the ship, sometimes for 60 days straight. but that did include a decent lunch break.
they dont care about worker morale. employment is still tight here, so they know we are stuck.
knife making right now is part time job. if becomes no longer fun with the same pressures of working for someone else, will go back to hobbiest stage.
bottom line, set a reasonable schedule with breaks, take breaks, have fun

Back