Tom Ferry MS Tamahagane Tanto

jklein7401

Well after a few weeks I am receiving some photos of my knives from Blade 2010. I am pleased to start posting with this one.

I am admittedly no expert on Japanese blades but this small Tamahagane bloom that Tom Ferry had at his ACE show really caught my eye. Tom had already forged the Tanto blade out but it was still quite rough. I have always been fascinated with the ancient art of creating steel this way and am very pleased Tom was able to deliver this piece to me at Blade. The Saya and stand are made of beautifully carved Claro Walnut. The Tanto shows the small gold engraved Koi around the blade, shimmering against the copper Habaki.

Buddy I really appreciate you capturing this whole set so well and. I am looking forward to posting the rest of the pieces you are working on.

orig.jpg

Jon

WOW!!! That is absolutely gorgeous! Awesome score on that one. I'm jealous.

Stunning! I like everything about the knife, the sheath, the stand and especially the koi.
Amazing craftsmanship.

Wow!!! I would love to see a tutorial on how he carved those scales into the walnut. The detail is absolutely amazing.

That is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen. Each component is a stand alone work of art, and when assembled as a whole...WOW!

Back