Too thin to heat treat?

diverdale

Got a little frisky with the file and now I have a grind that has a pretty thin edge. I hit it on with the sander a bit and it looks better. What’s the thinnest you’d put in the forge?

Most would say the thickness of a dime but it also depends on the alloy you're using and the size of the grain.

Doug

maybe you should use the oxy/act torch and do an edge quench........you can control the heat a lot safer......very easy to warp those thin blades heating in the forge.......added bonus is you will get a cool hamon

maybe you should use the oxy/act torch and do an edge quench........you can control the heat a lot safer......very easy to warp those thin blades heating in the forge.......added bonus is you will get a cool hamon
I have a map gas propane torch ... that work for this?

probably would work on a smaller blade 3 or 4 inch if it is as thin as you say......always better with the oxy /act

probably would work on a smaller blade 3 or 4 inch if it is as thin as you say......always better with the oxy /act
Yeah it’s a small blade .. I’m in the process of building a proper shop and will have more room for tools...should be all online come springtime

I have run more than one edge perpendicular to my contact wheel to “thicken” that edge a little before HT.

Back