Tool Maintenance

diverdale

I have a 20 yr old Delta benchtop drill press ... love the thing. It never moves and I don’t bang on it with hammers and sticks. Lately I noticed a little wobble in the bits and some holes were more obrounds than circles. Put a dial indicator on it today and wow it was out like 40 thou. Popped the chuck off and the spindle ran true. Ordered a new chuck. Just goes to show you need to keep an eye on your tools no matter what your using it for.

I probably have the same Delta too. it's got to be 30 years old, I replaced the chuck about 5 years ago but still running the original belt.
I was just thinking about that belt the other day when I was changing speeds, I thought, damn that belt is still in one piece after all these years. :D

I probably have the same Delta too. it's got to be 30 years old, I replaced the chuck about 5 years ago but still running the original belt.
I was just thinking about that belt the other day when I was changing speeds, I thought, damn that belt is still in one piece after all these years. :D
Mine has the original belt as well

I have my grandfather's Walker Turner drill press ,its pre WW2 and I've had it since 1982,it still runs flawlessly and as true as th he day it was made.I did have to replace the step pulley on the motor a few years ago as the belt actually wore through the most used v.

Back