Tooling Sheathes- i have questions and need feedback

UncleBillyKnives

This are some of the first sheathes I have tooled. the one to the far right is one i did not finish due the the pattern moves in from the fold so it looks like it is not centered. After this one, I moved in to about 1/8" from the center line before the fold. It still comes in from the fold, but not as bad. I think it is because the fold is more rounded at the top and more flat at the bottom. Is this a common issue? On the next one I think I will start 1/8" off the center at the top and angle down to meet the center line at the bottom. Also, I will try a butterfly style sheath like Paul Long in his video to avoid the issue all together.
Also, using the swivel knife, my lines look good until i fold the leather, then the cuts look a little ragged. I have used metal blades and then got a ceramic blade. i though the ceramic blade would be smoother but it seemed to jump more. Any suggestions? the one on the left was done with a groover not a swivel knife. what looks nicer to you?

Attachments

• DSC01286.jpg
    DSC01286.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Might try skiving the fold on the inside a little to help it fold where it is supposed to fold. I usually do that anyway just to help it flatten out a bit at the tip where the fold is the tightest. Nice work man.

Pat

I am by no means an accomplished sheath maker but I will take a shot at this. I think the reason you are having the problem is that once the knife is in the sheath it pulls the center fold off enough to make it look off center.

I don't do a lot of tooling but I am going to suggest trying the following. I would make a pattern to layout the tooling lines edge, since that is where the problem is showing up?

I make this suggestion since you don't seem to wet fitting or form fitting the sheaths to the knives. When form fitting the leather gets stretched and this will pull a pattern off. In your case I think it is just the thickness of the handle that is pulling the center of the tooling off, as is seems to be more prominent at at the bottom of the sheath.

Try making a sheath using a pattern and a pencil to lay out the tooling edge. Then folding the sheath and using little squeeze clamps to keep it together,as the stitching would. Position the knife and check the layout of your tooling work.

Once you get it figured out as too what is pulling it off center and by how much you will know how to adjust the tooling pattern to make it work with the fold. Anyway that is my two cents and by the way I do like your sheaths! :thumbup1:

+ 1 on what Pat said I had forgotten about that! He posted while I was writing this!

Uncle Billy,

Thanks for this post. I have some of the same problems. I have grooved the center to help the leather fold, but my pattern was still off. I believe it was because the knife had a really thick handle on it. (nearly an inch if I remember correctly). Will be interesting to see what others say.

What stamp are you using to get that rough texture look? I have tried a pebble background stamp but it doesn't look the same.

I am not Uncle Billy but I remember someone else talking about the rough texture is done with some thing like a burr in a dremmel or in a drill press. The raised areas are where the bit didn't touch and the areas in between are where the outer layer was carved away. Now I am not sure if that but if that is how it is done. I am seeing it more and more. Maybe someone will chime in. I am surprised the more experienced sheath makers have not commented on the original question. I would love to know for sure it the thoughts I had on the subject were spot on. So when I do decide to do more tooling on my sheaths the problem won't slip up and bite me!

Your line isnt any where near stright. Lay your leather flat and find center on top and bottom. Draw a light line up and down. Then draw another line to the left of it and keep it parrallel to the space you want from center. Now when you fold it , it will be straight. Will look like this.KT

Attachments

• up1.jpg
    up1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 28
Uncle Billy,

Thanks for this post. I have some of the same problems. I have grooved the center to help the leather fold, but my pattern was still off. I believe it was because the knife had a really thick handle on it. (nearly an inch if I remember correctly). Will be interesting to see what others say.

What stamp are you using to get that rough texture look? I have tried a pebble background stamp but it doesn't look the same.

thanks for the feed back guys. i will try some of the suggestions on the next one. the tool i use is from tandy. i think it is this one. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Leather-Stamps/66294-03.aspx

Thanks everyone. I'll look for that stamp the next time I'm in my local Tandy store.

Back