Tormek honing compound w/ leather buffing wheel

RayJ

Guys for knife sharpening where I’m putting an edge on the knife after I put the initial edge on with a micron belt I’ve been using green compound or white compound on my leather buffing wheel. Today I used Tormek and was so pleasantly surprised by the results that I had to share. I feel that it got the job done a lot quicker with much more even results. Knife was razor sharp in just a Has anyone else used this stuff?
For reference I got it off Amazon, specifically Tormek honing compound PA-70.

thanks and Happy New Year!!

ray

To be honest I’m horrified to use a buffer sharpening a knife. Maybe if an experienced person walked me through it ,..,
I typically just use diamond sharpening plates.

To be honest I’m horrified to use a buffer sharpening a knife. Maybe if an experienced person walked me through it ,..,
I typically just use diamond sharpening plates.
It’s only used to remove the burr, very little if no pressure is applied and you are holding it at 45 degree angle.

do not be afraid of a buffer.........practice on handles and assorted parts and pieces......I have 2 buffers at 3450 rpm and 1 1/2 hp that i have used for 40 plus years and I buff everything that i need including all my knife blades and edges with no problems..........it is just another tool in the shop that deserves respect when using........follow the basics and there is no reason to be afraid

Buffing a knife to polish it and buffing the edge to remove the sanding burr after sharpening are two VERY different things.... ;)

Nothing wrong with any choice of tools and i’m not criticizing or slamming the buffer. I use a low speed one for buffing handles. I’m just not in the comfort zone with the sharpening.

Back