Trade Secrets

I been trying to Get Mike to share his secret of making a sheath. Talk about a closely guarded secret.
Mike, Dewey Harris spend 90 minutes explaining to me how to make a lock back folder at Blade. Drawing diagrams and sharing secrets.

I been trying to Get Mike to share his secret of making a sheath. Talk about a closely guarded secret.
Mike, Dewey Harris spend 90 minutes explaining to me how to make a lock back folder at Blade. Drawing diagrams and sharing secrets.

Me??? I have a tutorial on how I make my foldover sheaths on my website at http://www.cartercrafts.com/foldoversheath.htm

I make my regular sheaths pretty much the same way everybody else does with a welt sandwiched between the front and back pieces.

Me??? I have a tutorial on how I make my foldover sheaths on my website at http://www.cartercrafts.com/foldoversheath.htm

I make my regular sheaths pretty much the same way everybody else does with a welt sandwiched between the front and back pieces.

Mike,
Thank you. I am teasing. Yes, I found it over a year. It is a very good tutorial. It is the way I learned to make a good sheath. Mike, you actually have taught me a lot. 2thumbs

I guess the only secret I have in my knife shop is how much I spend on "Knife Stuff"! Im lucky that I have an understanding wife, but sometime a man has to do what a man has to do!

I heard it said once "As knifemakers we are all standing on the shoulders of other makers"

I couldnt agree more. Ed Caffrey, Jim Crowell, Larry Kemp, Indian George just to name a few, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer my many and sometimes odd questions!

Playing it forward, ya just gotta do it to feel how good it is!

God Bless
Mike

I guess the only secret I have in my knife shop is how much I spend on "Knife Stuff"! Im lucky that I have an understanding wife, but sometime a man has to do what a man has to do!

I heard it said once "As knifemakers we are all standing on the shoulders of other makers"

I couldnt agree more. Ed Caffrey, Jim Crowell, Larry Kemp, Indian George just to name a few, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer my many and sometimes odd questions!

Playing it forward, ya just gotta do it to feel how good it is!

God Bless
Mike

No problem. I made a promise to myself that when I got to the level that I could make a halfway descend knife ,that I would past the little knowledge that I have on. When I start it was all from books and trial and error. More errors till this day. HEHEHEHEHE!!!

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back to life is for thanking other makers for solid gold advice and support.
I have been making custom knives for over 20 years and am still learning and trying to pass along my limited knowledge.

In all the years of making custom knives, I have refused to pass along knowledge only once, and that was to a person of the worst kind of character. I worked enough years on my day job with him to know he would give the business a bad name.

Fortunately, he must have not been serious (no surpise) and didn't pester me again. Not that any knife making questions are pestering, but the mentioned guy is completely worthless, untrustworthy, lazy, and DISHONEST. :mad:

One of the first great makers and knife magazine writers that answered some questions for me was Phil Willson(SP?), a fine California maker in his own right. My question pertained to CPM420V. Phil pretty much pioneered the use of CPM steel, as far as I know. He is especially known for his excellent writing and west coast CPM fillet knives as well as other work.

The only available CPM at the time Phil started using it was in huge blocks or slabs that Phil used his plasma cutter to cut to using size.

At the last Knifemakers Guild Show I was very impressed with an incredible folder that Stan Wilson made with no visible pins. I asked how he did that and Stan proceeded to completly disassemble the knife to show me right there on the show table. I couldn't beleive he did that with his main show piece worth several thousand dollars. The engineering that went into that knife was amazing and Stan showed that he was made of pretty good stuff too.

Stan Wilson's knives make me feel like I am scratching out prison shivs on concrete again..... :unsure:

Back