treadmill motor info needed

prisonbreak

just thinking if anyone has build a grinder using treadmill motor, if so are they any good? what rpm are they?
i want to build a grinder but want to use excessible parts. any alternative measures for wheels and or plans, steel/aluminium wheels, whats best.
ive got lots of pictures of grinders, a few plans................now just ideas and info on parts

I've seen others use a treadmill motor, but if you are buying your wheels, you need to have the same shaft sizes as the ones for sale.

the treadmill motors I've seen have open frames (metal dust and electricity = fried motor)

and small shafts and also probably small bearings.

You can get normal used motors for decent prices locally, shipping is killer on motor weights.

You want a Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled Motor. TEFC for short. The Horsepower matters more than speed because you can drop it down with pulleys or a Variable speed controller.

At least a 1 HP motor, I won't buy any more motors that aren't 1 1/2 HP preferably 2HP for a 2 x 72" Grinder.

I have a 1 1/4 GE motor from a treadmill that runs a flat disc grinder just fine and this would get you grinding a 2 x 72" to start.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back