Tried a few new things

Kev

I tried a couple new things on this one. Full tapers both on the blade and tang. I did a gut hook as per customer request. I don’t think I’ll be doing any more. Also did a three piece handle scale, with antler and linen micarta. I made a few mistakes, but learned a lot.

BED4F173-B8FD-45BE-BC16-62F16F84675D.jpeg

Great choice on putting that spacer in there I think it sets the handle apart. Also the gut hook looks great. I have shyed away from them but now I know who to ask... Customer will be happy.

Turned out real nice. I think this just may be my symmetrical eye but I think if the length of the bolster was equal with the length of the rear bolster it might balance the look. This could be a personal thing on my part! Other than that I think you nailed it!!! Two thumbs up!!

Turned out real nice. I think this just may be my symmetrical eye but I think if the length of the bolster was equal with the length of the rear bolster it might balance the look. This could be a personal thing on my part! Other than that I think you nailed it!!! Two thumbs up!!

Thank you for the advice. I actually did notice that, but it was a little late in the game to correct it. I made several mistakes on the scales. But I figured out what I did wrong. I only get upset when I make a mistake and can’t figure out what I did, and how to fix it.

Great choice on putting that spacer in there I think it sets the handle apart. Also the gut hook looks great. I have shyed away from them but now I know who to ask... Customer will be happy.

I do not like gut hooks. The main reason is that I don’t think they work. I’ve tried at least 20 different ways to make one and 100 different ways to sharpen them and I just don’t like it. Add to that I don’t like how they look. I think the detract significantly from the lines of the blade. If this one were not for a close friend, who insisted on it, I would have declined. That said, this one cuts through 7-8 oz leather like a razor, so who knows maybe this one works.

I do not like gut hooks either but in my opinion a knife is a tool first and art second. It’s like a claw on a hammer I guess. If the customer wants a claw hammer then I will make a claw hammer even though a peen looks better to me. I am not as worried about leaving a 220 grit scratch in my plunge line as I am about how the knife functions and did I design it for its intended use. That being said you did a great job on the gut hook it looks like it will work. The reason I say that is there is plenty of “hook” before the edge so you can use that to lift the hide away from the organs before you cut. The shorter hooks never work IMO.

The original gut hook was just a notch in the spine of the blade to catch the bail of a coffee pot that was sitting on the camp fire. If you hunt and you bag a deer give it a try. It will probably fill up with hair on you and not open the abdominal cavity. There is a gizmo for that sort of thing and it holds an injectable razor blade to cut through the belly muscles. That's how undersized that notch is.

Doug

The original gut hook was just a notch in the spine of the blade to catch the bail of a coffee pot that was sitting on the camp fire. If you hunt and you bag a deer give it a try. It will probably fill up with hair on you and not open the abdominal cavity. There is a gizmo for that sort of thing and it holds an injectable razor blade to cut through the belly muscles. That's how undersized that notch is.

Doug

I couldn’t agree more. Like I said earlier in the post, I wouldn’t have done it were it not for a close friend who insisted on it. I’m not a fan of the look or the function.

You may have to learn to tell people that you don't do that (whatever it is) even though it is hard when you are dealing with a close friend or a family member.

Doug

You may have to learn to tell people that you don't do that (whatever it is) even though it is hard when you are dealing with a close friend or a family member.

Doug

No doubt! I have been getting better at it. Sometimes I cave and go out on a limb. I’m trying very hard to stay focused and get good at what my main objectives are, but I get stars in my eyes when someone comes to me with a project that means I get to try some new things.

I think that handle is perfect the way it is...the bolster look like a bolster and the other end looks like a cap. the little bit of asymmetry works perfect. Had you been symmetrical the antler would have been too short.(or the bolster)

The color/material choices of the handle? Nailed it!

I think that handle is perfect the way it is...the bolster look like a bolster and the other end looks like a cap. the little bit of asymmetry works perfect. Had you been symmetrical the antler would have been too short.(or the bolster)

The color/material choices of the handle? Nailed it!

First off thank you for the encouragement.
The only reason I would have liked it to be more symmetrical, would be to get the handle pins into the middle of the antler. I’m down with a little asymmetry, but on this one has too much for my liking.

Yeah, I don't care for making gut hooks either. They are a pain. I'm working on two right now with all the same pains you are experiencing. For the final polishing/sharpening I did find a blue dremel stone that fits nicely and does a good job. Though the notch on mine is bigger.

I do like a good one in the field though. I haven't had them clog with hair, they just zip right up the hide.

Yeah, I don't care for making gut hooks either. They are a pain. I'm working on two right now with all the same pains you are experiencing. For the final polishing/sharpening I did find a blue dremel stone that fits nicely and does a good job. Though the notch on mine is bigger.

I do like a good one in the field though. I haven't had them clog with hair, they just zip right up the hide.

The intended game for this knife is fairly thin skinned, so I made the gap a little more narrow. I’ve tested and tested this one, and I feel confident it will work. I just don’t like them.

Back