Trouble cutting micarta

Tony Manifold

I have been trying use my band saw to cut out paper micarta in order to save on sanding time. So far all I have managed to do is ruin two slabs. My bandsaw blades keeps twisting and making curved cuts. Even with a guard I can't make a straight cut. Is this a common problem? I never had any trouble using wood on a band saw.

The micarta is tough, tough stuff - I treat it like I was bandsaw cutting brass. Lubrication helps if you have a metal cutting saw with that provision. The small ~$200 wood only bandsaws really struggle with it and chew up a lot of blades.

Are you using a bi-metal blade or are you using a blade designed for wood? I use a bi-metal blade and run it at the upper end of the speed setting and haven't had any problems with micarta or g-10. In fact I cut just about everything with the same bi-metal blade. It is a fairly fine tooth blade. It was on the saw when I bought it used about 12 years ago!

Bill

Are you using a bi-metal blade or are you using a blade designed for wood? I use a bi-metal blade and run it at the upper end of the speed setting and haven't had any problems with micarta or g-10. In fact I cut just about everything with the same bi-metal blade. It is a fairly fine tooth blade. It was on the saw when I bought it used about 12 years ago!

Bill

I'll look into one of those blades.

I mention this as I catch myself forgetting it, but lower the top guide down as close as it will go. I almost always forget. :)

I use my cheap Craftsman bandsaw with a 1/2" wide blade and never had any problems. I use the metal cutting bandsaw for G10. Do you have a 1/4" wide blade on yours. I had the same problem when I was running the stock blade.

Steven and everyone.
be careful, I have toasted and ruined a wood cutting band saw blade cutting G-10 or carbon fiber with it.

Back