Trying a Hawk?

Straightened the eye out today looks pretty good. Scored a piece of Mahogany for the handle gonna look awesome!!

Is there any rule for the length of handle on Hawks?? The piece of Mahogany is about 17" overall. Handle may only be 14-15" buy the time I get it all shaped up??

Handle length varies some from person to person (the one using/throwing, or whatever they do with their hawk), but based on my clients, everyone seems to want 15-18" handles. I suspect it's that way because the commercial hawk handles you can buy are always 16-18".

View attachment 70210
Final grind and finish. Need to attach handle tomorrow. Mahogany with Tru-Oil finish and a final sharpening. Should look good, real happy for my first hawk!! Usually don't like the fresh out of the forge look but this Hawk really needed it I think?
Very nice! I'm not a big fan of the "fresh out of the forge" look usually either. But it works very well here. Excellent work!

20190925_143012-1512x2016.jpg

Shes done!! Mild steel body, 1080 bit for cutting edge, forge welded together, lathe and hand shaped handle made from a piece of Mahogany donated from a friend. The handle was 85% shaped with a wood lathe. I didnt like how perfect it looked plus needed to take more material off to get it to fit. So removed more with 2x72 grinder. This gave it the hand hewn look I was looking to get. For the first one made I'm real happy with it and as with most first projects learned lots to apply to next one!

Went to a Renaissance Festival today that my friend had a table at. Told me I could display my Hawk if I wanted to sell it. So I did, put $200 on it guy offered $175 so I sold it. I was pretty happy. This took me way less time than one of my knives! So I felt it was a decent price! On to the next!!

Back