Turning a natural cork handle

One

Banned
This one is going to have a fabricated copper ferrule and end piece. It’s for a 10 inch camp knife blade. I think the texture of the cork will go good with the forged copper and hammer finished blade.

I love the properties and feel of the natural cork! It’s from pieces, stacked and glued together.

DSCN7904.JPG

DSCN7910.JPG

... turned with rasps and abrasives.

Last edited:
WOW, what a process! Now I know what I need a wood lathe for. You have great hand control from what I see.

Thank you for the insight.

Here’s the finished handle. I ended up using a ring of bronze, with the copper, on the ferrule and end piece for color.

The long brass tube runs through the length of the inside of the cork for internal support and the smaller brass tube, silver brazed to the end piece, telescopes into the other tube. At final assemble the whole handle will be put under compression with a screw press.

DSCN7929.JPG

DSCN7924-001.JPG

that is pretty cool, Tai!
hey, do you think it will still float when it is finished (a little bobbing knife if you drop it overboard would be a lot better than waiting for The Lady in the Lake to bring it back to you).

I doubt it with the big 10 inch blade, but I'll see.

I ended up "ebonizing" the cork for looks, picked up the wood grain and texture real nice... almost finished.

Here it is.

Overall length- 16-1/2 inches

Handle- Natural cork (ebonized)
(Turks head knot- woven cotton cord, sealed with orange flake shellac)

Ferrule and end piece- Copper and bronze

Blade- Hand forged from 1065 steel

DSCN7970-001.JPG

DSCN7975.JPG

DSCN7987.JPG

Last edited:
Back