Two Bowies

TK Steingass

Well, it's been quite awhile since I've posted knives on this forum, so I thought I'd give this forum another try.....if I ever sell one on this forum, I will upgrade my membership to knifemaker, as I am on the BF. I got the idea to take the handle from my Man Knife and put it on a bowie. I ended up with an extremely comfortable design, and it's quite light in the hand. The hidden tang extends 3/4 of the way into the handle and is set in Acraglas. The exceptional crotch walnut with flame figure was supplied by Don Hanson III. I had read that besides W-2, a hamon comes out well on 1095, and I agree - the blade was hand rubbed to 1500 grit then etched - the hamon is quite pronounced and I was pleased with how it turned out. I hope you like it! The first "I'll take it" gets this gorgeous knife. $285 plus $15 shipping to my paypal account tksteingass@frontier.com. International sales will require additional postage. Maker's lifetime common sense warranty and free sharpening.

1095 stock - .170" at the ricasso
Clay quenched with Parks 50
HT to Rc 60-61 - double tempered
10 1/4" OAL
5 3/4" Blade - full flat ground - distal taper
Black/red/white spacers
Missouri Black Walnut - crotch flame figure
Truoil finish
416 SS furniture - satin finish
Soldered guard
Thumb serrations on spine
8-10 oz leather sheath

Walnut-Bowie-1.jpg

Walnut-Bowie-2.jpg

Walnut-Bowie-3.jpg

Walnut-Bowie-4.jpg

Walnut-Bowie-5.jpg

Walnut-Bowie-6.jpg

Thought I'd make a stainless bowie in CPM 3V - this is probably the last hand rubbed blade I'll ever do in this material - with an abrasion resistance about twice that of D2 due to the vanadium carbides, this blade was like polishing a diamond! The advantage to all that rubbing though is a finish that the buyer can maintain to keep this baby looking like new. This bowie is very light in the hand, due mostly to the full hollow ground blade.....neutral balance is just in front of the guard under my name. I ground the knife edge proud at .040" with a 25 degree bevel to withstand abuse. The handle is an exceptional piece of exhibition grade English Walnut with lots of marblecake pigmentation and crotch flame figure - Truoil finish on this handle. I hope you like it! The first "I'll take it" gets it. $SOLD plus $20 shipping. Paypal preferred to tksteingass@frontier.com - international sales will require additional postage. Maker's lifetime common sense warranty and free sharpening.

.210" CPM 3V stock
Triple tempered to Rc 60
11 1/2" OAL
7" Hollow ground blade
Unsharpened swedge
400 Grit hand rubbed satin finish
416 SS furniture
Exhibition Grade English Walnut handle
Red liners
Pinned and soldered double guard
Subhilt
8-10 oz leather sheath