Two EDCs and a Folder

Cazador

I recently finished up these knives. In the Captain Obvious department, photography is not my strong suit.

This knife is made from .156 CPM-154 steel. It has an overall length of 6 ⅞” and measures 2 ⅞” from tip to handle. The cutting edge is right around 2 ⅝”. The blade is a full flat grind. The handles are black Richlite with two mosaic pins. Not pictured, but the knife has a Kydex sheath that is set for a large Tek-Lok.
IMG_1476.JPGIMG_1477.JPG
This knife is made from .156 AEB-L steel. It has an overall length of 6 ¾” and a cutting edge of 2 ¾”. The blade has a hollow grind with a 600 grit hand rubbed satin finish. The flats are finished to 400 grit. The handle is Black and Gray G10 with two mosaic pins. I still need to complete the Kydex sheath for it.
IMG_1488 (Edited).JPGIMG_1489 (Edited).JPGIMG_1490 (Edited).JPGIMG_1491 (Edited).JPG
So while waiting on my steel supply to arrive I had a small piece of .138” AEB-L left over. So I decided to make a very basic liner-lock flipper. Shortly after I retired I had the opportunity to take a folder class from Jim Minnick. For those who don't know, Jim is an awesome knifemaker. I think I took the class too early into my knife making because I didn't really understand all of the intricacies of what goes into a liner lock. Anyway, this knife still needs some refinement, but all-in-all I’m pretty happy with the results. The blade is running on Nylatron washers, has good solid lock-up with no blade play. The open length of the knife is just under 8 ¾” with a cutting edge of just about 3 ⅝”. Closed the knife measures 5 ⅛”. Liners are .062” titanium with black and OD green G-10 handles.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    980.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I’d Like to try a folder but it seems it would be really complicated.
For me, there is a whole host of complications in making them. Things have to be FLAT! I don't have a surface grinder, so that's a lot of work. Then making sure the tolerances between the blade, washers/bearings, stop pin, and backspacer/standoffs are correct. Getting those right helps in the getting the next complication area right, the locking mechanism. That's why I have been concentrating on fixed blades. There's a lot to get right with those too.

Frank...those are beautiful! I would suggest that you do whatever it take to up your photo quality! Those are ALL worthy of pro photos!

Frank...those are beautiful! I would suggest that you do whatever it take to up your photo quality! Those are ALL worthy of pro photos!
Thank you Ted! I've never considered pro photos because quite frankly, I look at the pics of the beautiful knives by Coop, Caleb, Chuck and others, and think I have a way to go.

AWESOME!! I say this a lot i can't believe the talent here. I look at knives made by people and say that's the nicest knife ever!! Then I open another link and relize, I was wrong!!

Back