Two Plunge-less knives

Chris Railey

As always, I am trying to develop my own style kind of like De-Mo so I am trying some plunge-less grinds on non-kitchen knives to see if I like it. I made one workhorse (brown handle) and one curvy knife as a test. Both are 1084 and sharp as razors. The awesome brown handle is Brown dyed maple burl I got from Mr. Kimmi. The blue-green is Birdseye maple that I double dyed and stabilized. Please ignore the small vertical scratches on the flats they are from my sharpening guides for my stones I did not see them until I posted this I will remove them tonight. I am also aware my pictures suck eggs that is why I do not sell on-line...LOL

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpg
    IMG_4437.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4440.jpg
    IMG_4440.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4442.jpg
    IMG_4442.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4443.jpg
    IMG_4443.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4445.jpg
    IMG_4445.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4447.jpg
    IMG_4447.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4449.jpg
    IMG_4449.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 30
I have to say that I much prefer the brown dyed handle to the teal coloured one but the plunge-less grind certainly works with the burl where on another post the same grind gave a look of something missing. I think you have shown that the handle choice is the make or break of this type of grind and something that needs to be taken into account when going the plunge-less route.

I have to say that I much prefer the brown dyed handle to the teal coloured one but the plunge-less grind certainly works with the burl where on another post the same grind gave a look of something missing. I think you have shown that the handle choice is the make or break of this type of grind and something that needs to be taken into account when going the plunge-less route.
In honesty Mr.Gruff that is why I went with fancy handle material. My thought was maybe the plunge-less grind would make the handle stand out more. I am also in the process of doing two more plunge-less with simple handle materials but these two will feature a hamon in hopes that the blade will take the focus...We will see.

I like the knives Chris and the handle material is great....but...I still am not a big fan of the plungless. I think in my mind I would like the plungless blade if it had more character that seems to be what is lacking for my eye. If the blade was acid etched and tumbled or like you said had a hamon to make it pop.
Totally one of those things that is an opinion.

Looks great, I really like the shape of the green handled one.

I'm pretty new to knife making and am trying to imagine or picture how to do a plungless grind, and how it transitions to the non ground / full thickness area of the tang.

Andy

Looks great, I really like the shape of the green handled one.

I'm pretty new to knife making and am trying to imagine or picture how to do a plungless grind, and how it transitions to the non ground / full thickness area of the tang.

Andy
Its pretty much the same way as a flat grind I just grind the entire length of the cutting edge from where the finger well ends. In doing so I just do not make a plunge line. You have to be careful not to grind away material from where your scales are going to be but everything else is about the same. When I am finished I grind higher grits lengthwise to blend everything together. I did pick up an important tip from either John Wilson or Mr. Gruff though. When I am finished I go back and slightly round over the area where the cutting edge meets the end of the finger well so the knife is not sharp on that "corner". If you did not, I can see a sharp corner aggravating you in use.

I like the knives Chris and the handle material is great....but...I still am not a big fan of the plungless. I think in my mind I would like the plungless blade if it had more character that seems to be what is lacking for my eye. If the blade was acid etched and tumbled or like you said had a hamon to make it pop.
Totally one of those things that is an opinion.
Stay tuned Justin, I just heat treated two more last night that will be plunge-less with hamons. I "should" finish them this weekend and I will post pics to see what you guys think. As an update, the green handle one has already sold.

Back