utube

v-6

After watching Nick Wheeler on sanding , I have a ? . What is the grease he's talking about.
I sent him a email but he has to be to busy to take time to look at his email.
If i was as good as he is it would be a long time before i could get to my email.

thanks vern :les:

The only grease I ever used was for my hair back when there was some there. When your saying "sanding" do you mean hand sanding or grinding with a belt grinder? They do make a grease for grinding but I have never used any. I would guess its most like got paraffin in it. Got to remember Nick lives in Washington, they do things differently up there.

Please, you don't want to go to the belt grease. I'm one of those people that could come out of an operating room looking like I was somehow trying to change the colour of my skin from white to black but that grease is way past that. I never did find it to be very good. If you have used cork belts to grind with you may know they want to plug off quickly and stop cutting. The belt grease is to prevent this from happening. It is applied while the belt is moving. WOW !!! Instead use some white or green chrome polish. Frank

thanks guys now i know. beings i did not have any teaching only this fourm and i thought i missed something. thanks guys vern

Just to clear up any confusion, here's my email to Vern. ;)

"
Hi Vern-

Okay, I think I know what you saw now... I was probably talking about belt grease. I don't really ever use it on my belt grinders, but I do use it on my variable speed 9" disc sander. I grind a blade on the belt grinder, then go to my disc. I start with 320X paper, then 500X. Once the 500X is worn some, I put the belt grease on there, and it will cut a lot like 800X paper.

It's kind of funny, I bought that tube of belt grease back when I bought my first 2X72 grinder in 1996...but I just started using that grease a couple years ago! LOL

It's not something you have to use, but it does help speed up the sanding process a bit.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks Vern! :)
-Nick-"

Back