Various knives

And a 7 1/2 inch 12C27 chef knife with curly macro
qZYhcTNl.jpg

AMrjHECl.jpg

o7d2KPEl.jpg

Von, you are a machine. You must sleep with one hand and work with the other!! :cool:

What is the handle material on these two?
What is the stain if you don't mind me asking?

Whatever it is I like it!! The black material really sets it off!!

EDIT: Well I just went back and re-read the post!!

Big Game Hunters in4 3/4 in x .156 blades of 1095. Both have buffalo horn bolsters with one having walnut scales while the other has eucalyptus
1565972690141.png
What species of walnut is that??
I have never tried any eucalyptus. When we first moved here there was a eucalyptus tree in the front yard. It grew so fast and tall that it could not support its own weight and broke off in a storm! I never realized the eucalyptus was a hardwood!!

Last edited:
Von, you are a machine. You must sleep with one hand and work with the other!! :cool:

What is the handle material on these two?
What is the stain if you don't mind me asking?

Whatever it is I like it!! The black material really sets it off!!

EDIT: Well I just went back and re-read the post!!

Big Game Hunters in4 3/4 in x .156 blades of 1095. Both have buffalo horn bolsters with one having walnut scales while the other has eucalyptus
View attachment 69682
What species of walnut is that??
I have never tried any eucalyptus. When we first moved here there was a eucalyptus tree in the front yard. It grew so fast and tall that it could not support its own weight and broke off in a storm! I never realized the eucalyptus was a hardwood!!
The walnut is NZ grown English walnut. One of the blocks I got from NZ Walnut supply and in a light fiddle back grain. I built about 35 or so rifles from his walnut so when I was up that way I called in to see him (and give him a knife) and came away with many blocks of very nice wood.

A couple of days grinding and handsanding with just 4 left to do to get tham allready for handles.There are blades of 1084, 1095 12C27 and stainless damascus in this lot.
P76FmH1l.jpg

Damascus blades ready for the etch
y9JRvCUl.jpg

The bottom three are for Art, Dave and Yancey (friends/repeat customers from another forum). The top one and the center one are a hybrid design that Yancey and I came up with based off the bushcraft hunter but with a finer flat ground blade
0sGMV2pl.jpg

Beautiful work Von Gruff.
I like the stainless Damascus.
Would you mind telling us your source for that?

These three damascus blades have the handles on and are in the clamps for the night under the anti freeze light.
top is copper and stabilised spalted eucalyptus on hybrid design
center is hunter with ebony with stabilised spalted eucalyptus
bottom is brass and buffalo horn with blue liners
JfT7ipyl.jpg

three 1084 blades with buffalo horn bosters ready for pins and epoxy
hSFbtBWl.jpg

I did another two damascus blades but didn't get a pic. One having buffalo horn bolster that will have eucalyptus handles and the other with stainless steel will have desert ironwood handles

Last edited:
Mr. Gruff, have you ever done a tutorial on how you shape your bolsters and scales?
Have done so on the scales Chris(and posted the videos) but not the bolsters but that would be a good one to do. Hot fingers is one of the side effects on the copper in particular but the brass and stainless is not far behind. Flat backed bolsters are not so bad but the curve backed ones do take some determination to get them done.
Check my youtube chanel for a a variety of videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8O0v5LX50rnIk4BlZUBow

Have done so on the scales Chris(and posted the videos) but not the bolsters but that would be a good one to do. Hot fingers is one of the side effects on the copper in particular but the brass and stainless is not far behind. Flat backed bolsters are not so bad but the curve backed ones do take some determination to get them done.
Check my youtube chanel for a a variety of videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8O0v5LX50rnIk4BlZUBow

Just subscribed Gruff, I did not know you had a you tube channel.

A day of leather work today to make the necessary sheaths for the knives I have finished and those still on the bench waiting for the handle shaping but should get them done later in the week. Just have ssome stitching to run round and the hot waxing to do on them now.
RxiAIrkl.jpg

These five ready to ship. Raindrop stainless damascus. #1 is stabilised spalted eucalyptus with carbon fiber pins over copper curve backed bolster. #2 is Buffalo horn with blue liners over brass curve backed bolster. #3 is stabilsed spalted eucalyptus over ebony with carbon fiber pins. #4 is pig sticker with accacia over 1095 HC blade and #5 is Hunter kinner with accacia over 1084 HC blade
fG2K1yfl.jpg

Acwq2EIl.jpg

Ewd1YQAl.jpg

xIhWTHTl.jpg

68Mzu1wl.jpg

Rr0AEizl.jpg

These five ready to ship. Raindrop stainless damascus. #1 is stabilised spalted eucalyptus with carbon fiber pins over copper curve backed bolster. #2 is Buffalo horn with blue liners over brass curve backed bolster. #3 is stabilsed spalted eucalyptus over ebony with carbon fiber pins. #4 is pig sticker with accacia over 1095 HC blade and #5 is Hunter kinner with accacia over 1084 HC blade
fG2K1yfl.jpg

Acwq2EIl.jpg

Ewd1YQAl.jpg

xIhWTHTl.jpg

68Mzu1wl.jpg

Rr0AEizl.jpg
Beautiful knives!

Back