Various knives

Gruff is my hero...When (if) I grow up I want to be like him. All of your work is clean and functional, I am a fan sir.
Thanks Chris. I am negoiating with the customer for the copper and eucalyptusknife topart trade some desert ironwood so going through the selection process at the moment
I have some interesting ones on the bench for handle shaping today (one with stainless guard and desert ironwood burl) and found out yesterday that a shipment of bone aqnd horn has just cleared customs so with 4 giraffe leg bones and 4 impala horns I have some exciting knives ahead of me with 10 blades sitting waiting for these to arrive. With the successfull arrival my friend and US agent is arranging for another 10 leg bones to be prepared for shipment and as CITES has listed the giraffe with decreasing populations then giraffe bone may be harder to get out of africa and accross borders so we will get while the getting is good

Todays handIe finishing
#1 is the hybrid hunter with Desert Ironwood over stainIess on the random pattern stainIess damascus bIade.
kurLEM8l.jpg

uHuKWScl.jpg

#2 is a Hunter Skinner with cherry burI over buffaIo horn boIster on the random pattern damascus bIade.
g1237nFl.jpg

#3 is the Hybrid hunter with eucaIyptus over buff horn on the 1084 bIade.
VSntjB2l.jpg

#4 is the Iight hunter with Ieopardwood over buff horn on the 1084 bIade.
xIgYSg2l.jpg

xO3HHZWl.jpg

#5 is the hunter skinner with macrocarpa over buff horn on the 1084 bIade.
p8WQi8Xl.jpg

# 6 & 7 are the fishing set with bIack paper micarta over bIaze Iiners on the 12C27 bIades.
6ays8Xfl.jpg

YBAy1c0l.jpg

Thanks Ted. I had been saving that piece of DIW for something that would show it off to its best. Negotiating for some more DIW in part trade for another of my knives
I had a bunch of Ironwood given to me. It is a bunch of large animal carvings with the ears and feet broke off. I was not sure if it was good for handles but was gonna give it a try. I probably have enough for 8-10 sets of knife scales. I thought it may be too hard to work.

I had a bunch of Ironwood given to me. It is a bunch of large animal carvings with the ears and feet broke off. I was not sure if it was good for handles but was gonna give it a try. I probably have enough for 8-10 sets of knife scales. I thought it may be too hard to work.
Premier knife handle wood. You will be pleased with how it works and finishes

A couple of new designs today. I killed one of my sheep for the freezer and two of the knives I use were in need of an update. Without going into the mechanics of sheep killing I needed a slightlu more directable handle and the knife I had been using for dicing the meat after it was boned out was proving unsatisfactory in that it had a wasted portion of the blade in the curve from the flat to the tip. and while the flat portion was good the curve to the tip made it unwieldly so a while back I made a shorter one but this showed the need for a longer flat portion.
I had wanted to do this for a while and this had prompted me to "get on with it".
The slaughterman has a 7 inch (1/8 1084) blade that I have made a fraction wider at the heel end and a little fuller in the handle while the dicer has a 7 1/2 in x 1/8 in 12C27 SS blade for a 12 1/2 overall length.
TkWhRqKl.jpg

Have some leatherwork ahead of me to get sheaths doen for this lot finished today.
A Light Hunter (1084) and a Lion knife (1095) with giraffe bone fixed with stainless pins.
ErvMxk0l.jpg

An order for some Safari knives with giraffe bone on 1095 with titabium pins. There is another one to finish shaping the handles but that will join the group tomorrow.
tO3XILzl.jpg

A Mini Skinner in 1084 with spalted eucalyptus over curve backed buff horn bolsters with brass pins
WIJnPFul.jpg

And the new design knives for myself. The slaughterman with stainless 3 pin copper bolster and ebony handles with cpper pins on the 1084 blade.
The slicer is for when I have broken down an animal and want to dice the boned out meat. It has 3 brass pins in the copper bolster with copper pins in the ebony handles on the 12C27 stainless blade.
ghPMurll.jpg

And this with giraffe bone handles and titanium pins with 3 SS pins in the curve backed buff horn bolster on the 1095 blade.
To4Hm4Nl.jpg

Gruff Nice work! I did not know you made "Lion Knives". I recently heard of that knife and the story behind it. Its a crazy story. I have been looking for dimensions on the knife so I could try and make 1 but I haven't had any luck finding anything out.

18 sheaths cut out, belt loops sewn on, welts glued in then got them all dyed. They could then be glued together, edges sanded marked for stitching and the holes all drilled so they will all be ready for final stitching tomorrow to finish out the week. Hot waxing and blade sharpening next week so they are ready for shiping.

Back