Vfd selection

i would buy the biggest VFD you can afford. If you decided to go 220 and 2HP later, you won't have to buy another VFD. The HP rating of a VFD is the max. For example, you can run a 1HP or 1.5HP motor on a 2HP VFD. That just takes load off the VFD. The motor is what draws the amps. The VFD has to be rated to push that many amps. The VFD can always be a higher rating than the motor, but not the other way around.

I've never used a 1 hp motor on a belt grinder. I'm afraid that you would tend to bog it down. I use a 1.5 hp motor and it is all that I need. I do forge my blades profile and bevels so I don't do a lot of grinding. I have never stalled my motor and have carried my grinder to many conferences and meetings and regularly hand smiths a piece of metal and challenge them to bog it down. I have yet to have anyone bog it down. I do sometimes hold down on the grinder to keep them from flipping it off the table.

Let me know if I can help you.

If you get the KBAC VFD it's expensive but keep in mind that you can run multiple motors off a single VFD (1 at a time) by adding a simple switch. That's a little "future-proofing".

Knowing you can do that may take some of the sting out the price.

If you get the KBAC VFD it's expensive but keep in mind that you can run multiple motors off a single VFD (1 at a time) by adding a simple switch. That's a little "future-proofing".

Knowing you can do that may take some of the sting out the price.

please be careful giving advise like this. the manuals for my TECO, Leeson, Allen Bradley, and Siemens VFDs all say nothing between VFD and motor except wire. i do have a 3 phase receptacle on my VFD where i can plug in any motor.

Easier than wiring the VFD to motors is to simply wire in a 4 prong outlet to each motor and a 4 prong plug on the cable from the VFD. Then you can plug the VFD into any 3 phase motor. The 4 prong outlets and plugs are for clothes dryers.

Let me know if I can help you.

please be careful giving advise like this. the manuals for my TECO, Leeson, Allen Bradley, and Siemens VFDs all say nothing between VFD and motor except wire. i do have a 3 phase receptacle on my VFD where i can plug in any motor.

Good point. There is certainly an inherent risk in any kind of modification and anyone thinking abut doing this should do their homewor and understand those risks. After all, if you fry your VFD or motor you won't be saving any money.

That said, I know a few knifemakers that use switches to run multiple motors off of a single VFD. I'm not a knifemaker but I've running 2 motors on 1 VFD by utilizing a switch for a couple years without any problems.

Even using a receptacle is technically against the manuals warning since it is "something" between the VFD and motor.

Posted this on another forum figured I'd might as well ask here too. I'm planning my 2x72 grinder build and I'm about to grab a 2hp baldor motor and I'm looking at different vfd. Specifically the teco fm 50 it says it input voltage is 380-480 and output is 0-480 I only have 110 in my garage. Do will this work? Or just save my pennies for a kbac 27d?
once you decide on motor and VFD, send me a PM and I will send you a quote for the wiring you will need.

*****Older thread, didn't see that

My setup is on this page, 220V. If I was full time I would spring for the KBAC . I have had NO problems with the TECO I still need to vent it. I have not had any heat issues with it so I'm in no rush. http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?40849-What-s-going-on-in-your-shop&p=345954#post345954
As long as you keep the dust out of the Teco you will be fine 220V 2HP FM202C is the way to go, it will handle 3HP if I choose

Last edited:
Back