VFD

Armandanvil

Could anyone give me an idea of what VFD would work with a 1.5hp, 120/240vac, 3600rpm motor on the
knife grinder? Currently running motor on 120v ac.
Thanks.

You should be sure and get a NIMA 4X compliant VFD. That is dust proof to prevent the metal grindings from being drawn in and ruining the VFD, such as the KBAC 27D.
Likewise the motor should be TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled).
Check out the motors and VFDs on my web-site.
Let me know if I can help you.

Could anyone give me an idea of what VFD would work with a 1.5hp, 120/240vac, 3600rpm motor on the
knife grinder? Currently running motor on 120v ac.
Thanks.
Since that motor is currently running on 120vac are you SURE it's 3 ph? While it's possible to get a 1 ph VFD they are EXPENSIVE. 99.9% of the VFD grinders in use will have a 3 ph motor and use a VFD that converts 1 ph to 3 ph power for the motor.

The best is of course the KBAC 27D VFD, but as mentioned at almost $400 it's pretty expensive. For my hobby setup I use the $75 Chinese VFD that are NOT dust proof. By putting a filter over the air inlets they last for several years (5+), and if (when?) it goes out, just order another. I prefer the display the Chinese VFD have to display the actually SFPM belt speed over the KBAC which doesn't have a display.

I'm with Ken. It sounds like you have a single phase motor, and your typical VFD requires a 3 phase motor to function.

With that said, the KBAC-27d is one of the few options out there that will get you 1.5hp on 110VAC. Most of your sub $100 chinese made VFDs wiill require 220VAC input, or if they do use 110VAC, will only work for a 1hp motor or smaller.

If you keep an eye out in your local classifieds, you may be able to find a suitable 3 phase motor for relatively cheap, or AutomationDirect.com sells the IronHorse motors for around $200.

Sure appreciate all the good comments.....sorry, forgot to add that motor is 1ph.

Ken....would you happen to know if the chinese vfd will work with 1ph? Would you know a website to check em out?
possibly purchase one?

Thanks for your time, fellas.

Make your life soooo much easier and get a 3-phase motor. Seriously, it's like $200 but it will run for years and years. A VFD will change your life. It's not even worth considering finding a work-around for single phase. If you're going to run single phase then a step pulley is your answer.

Ken....would you happen to know if the chinese vfd will work with 1ph? Would you know a website to check em out?
possibly purchase one?
I wouldn't count on finding anything to run on 120 vac except for the KBAC. Personally, I'd work out someway - if at all possible - to get 220vac in the shop. If you do find a VFD to run on 120 vac it will be like the KBAC and cost more than a Chinese VFD and 3 ph 2hp motor combined.

Perhaps a dryer plug from somewhere? Find two recepts that are on different phase and make a "Y" adapter...... No, scratch that idea. That would be called "unsafe" by ALL "responsible" folks {g}

FWIW, I run a KBAC 27D on a 2HP Leeson 3ph motor - and run it on 120v. I have 220 available, but due to shop layout my 120 outlets are more convenient. (My 220 outlet is dedicated to welders.) I've been evaluating whether I lose too much HP/Torque but, for my grinding, I seem to get by on 120 OK. At 75%+ speed its got all the torque I can use. But down at 20-30% it will bog down with light grinding. If I bog it down, I just up the speed a bit and get by.
Your mileage certainly may vary, I do not use the grinder for production work.
One other note. When buying a 3 phase motor look for units that are designed to be run on a VFD controller - that means Inverter Rated. They apparently are more efficient and run "better". I have a Dayton 3ph motor that runs on a KBAC controller and it emits a high pitched whistle. The Leeson is quiet.
For reference: https://electricmotorwarehouse.com/...d-base-230-460v-leeson-electric-motor-119417/

Back