Victorinox Swiss Army Knives EDC

Is a SAK amongst your EDC?

• I don't know what EDC means.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, my mother doesn't let me play with knives.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rock

I would gather that most of us own or have owned at least one Swiss Army Knife (SAK). I have a Tinker that I carry daily and have for about fifteen years. Its not as rapidly accessible as an AFCK, but the intimidation factor is way lower and its better for detail work. Worth the little extra space or weight in my pocket. Its not nearly as bulky as a Leatherman or other "multi-tool".

I haven't seen the value in the bigger SAK knives as an EDC. WTH is the hook for? Please somebody! Do Boy Scouts use corkscrews? How often does anyone use a reamer?

Which model do you carry (Not have in a toolbox, tacklebox, glovebox, backback, or on your workbench please) and why? Which tools do you use the most on it?

Thanks,

Rock

Attachments

• tinkerblack.jpg
    tinkerblack.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Of my EDCs, I regularly carry my Coye Ridge Back, Benchmade "Stryker", and Leatherman "Micra". On my kit I also carry a Gerber Multi-Tool. The R.B., Stryker, and Micra get used all the time. The Gerber is reserved for cutting the bundling wire on ammo crates.

I own a couple of SAKs but have never really had the desire to carry one of them as they are just not as easily accessible as my others. When I need a sharp edge, I hate having to use two hands to make it accessible. Depending on the job at hand, I'll choose either the R.B. or Stryker.

Congrats on 1,000 posts, Murph!

I don't notice the SAK Tinker in my pocket unless I don't have it. Its much more presentable amongst civilized folks than a tactical folder, so I carry it too.

I have several of my own folders that I carry, but, about every room and drawer differnt places in my truck all have a different model of swiss army. I see one that I dont have and buy it and put it somewhere I think it will be usefull. I dont even have a good idea of how many I have, or where they all are but they pop up everywhere. I forgot, tackle box, gun case, backpacks, tool box. damn things are every where.

Of all the knives I like to EDC, I rotate between slipjoints (Im going to get a tactical folder and give it a try) seems like I always go back to my SAK Sportsman.

Sean

I've carried a Swiss Champ for 15+ years, on my third one as I tend to lose them on occasion.
I rarely use it as a knife as I carry other blades as well, but the scissors, pliers see lots of use.
Of the 33 tools on a Champ, I think I've used all of them except for the fish scaler.

Leadfoot

I had always carried a 3 blade Stockman, just like my dad. 3 blades all sharpened differently. Then a friend showed me his SAK. I thought that was so much hooie. Then I was given a Tinker and decided to give it a try. The Stockman got retired. I used it a lot and carried it for about 10 years....Then I started hanging out with blacksmiths and saw how many carried Multi-tools. Well, I felt that it was to big to stick in my pocket and I didn't want to wear it on my belt in a sheath. I finally broke down and got a Gerber. I can't believe how much I use it. Every day. Mostly the pliers. The file is not just a fingernail file. I use it on metal all the time. The big thing that the Gerber doesn't have but the SAK does is a toothpick. Wouldn't you know: I started carrying the Gerber and put the SAK away. The first time I went to town I went to the Wendy's and got a chicken sandwitch, got chicken between my teeth and promptly went to the shop and forged a toothpick (that doubles as a scribe) and figured out a way to carry it on the Gerber sheath. I also carry one of my fixed blade cable knives that has been posted previously.

Attachments

• STAINLESS STEEL TOOTHPICK #2.jpg
    STAINLESS STEEL TOOTHPICK #2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
"The first time I went to town I went to the Wendy's and got a chicken sandwitch, got chicken between my teeth and promptly went to the shop and forged a toothpice (that doubles as a scribe) and figured out a way to carry it on the Gerber sheath."

This is the sign of a true blacksmith! cool 1

I EDC'd a Tinker in one of a number of belt sheaths for over 20 years. The sheaths kept wearing out; I think I replaced the Tinker once. My wife has it now because I switched to Leatherman Wave 10-15 years ago. Now that's upgraded to a Charge Ti, which is basically an improved Wave.

The Wave was the first multitool I found that was actually better for me than the Tinker.
I've used everything on both knives and still miss the Tinker can opener. Unlike any kitchen can opener I've tried or the Wenger design Leatherman atrocity, it would actually, reliably OPEN CANS.

I edc a Hiker and an executive(I think). I find so many uses for them I can't imagine being without them. My first knife was a SAK.

I dont know how old mine is. Lost count at 16 years. I have sharpened EVERYTHING on the knife. Can opener to scissors! Still my EDC with a primary blade or 3.....I mainly use it for the scissors. They cut everything from zip ties to string.

P5140004.jpg

Maybe one can see on this photo how worn the blade is. Its about 5mm off the tip from sharpening and I had to re-profile the tip several times due to sharpening the tip started to protrude above the handle and would catch your pants.

P1250355.jpg

Last edited:
I like that one Rock. Do you know if they are going to make an iPhone version. :D

I have a camoed SAK that is in my kit, but I am getting a couple of the turned in TSA knives that are small. If I like it i will carry one of them in my watch pocket as a backup to the larger blade that is generally clipped to a pocket.

Growing up I was given a little 3 blade folder by Case and I carry it now but I would hate to loose it where as a small SAK can be replaced.

I have a 30 y/o Champion I carried for years. Then I switched to the SwissChamp. For the last 7-8 years I've EDC my Schrade ToughTool. I do keep a SwissCard in my Victorinox wallet.

Well this thread peaked my interest. I just inherited a SAK Tinker a few weeks ago, spent a few minutes on the stone this morning to sharpen it up and put decided I'd carry it for a while to see what it can do. It won't replace my Trapper, but I'll use it every chance I can. May be a fun experiment!

The tool I don't understand on some SAK's is the scissors. If you already have a knife in your hand, do you really need scissors? Just an opinion, and no I don't own a SAK with the scissors on it, so maybe I'm just not "in the know".

JLaw

Last edited:
Back